Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:50 pm 

Dear Splasm

I am using your app with great satisfaction. Compliments!

Recently I have installed ios 7.0.4 on my iphone 5 and iPad 4th generation and, as it is widely known, I have lost the chapter indexing information on all my audiobooks, those I built using your application.

I can therefore NO MORE select a chapter inside a long audio book...it now looks as a one file, even if it the audiobook a 12 hours book!
Here Apple is clearly wrong in removing useful features

Anyway, do you know any workaround?
Or do you know an Audiobook player which allows chapter selection within an audiobook?

I have tried "Audiobooks and Podcast player", available on app store, but it cannot show chapters.
There is no button to switch to the next chapter, or to select a certain chapter (though I am sure the chapters information is still available inside the m4b I have created with Audiobook Builder).

The default apple player in ios 7.0.4 is "Music" (it is displayed as a red icon): it has erased the chapter information and now each audiobook shows as a unique file, instead of a collection of chapters. However here you can skip to next and previous chapter, which tells me that the chapter information is still embedded in the file, right?

Thank you and waiting
Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:36 am 

Hi Allan

I forgot to say that with previous version (Mountain Lion - itunes 10 + iPhone 6.x + iPad 6.x) I remember that Chapters were there.

The audiobooks were built with ABB in 2012 and the missing chapters problem, if I recollect correctly, is appearing now, after I upgrade to the following:

Mac > Mavericks OS X 10.9
iTunes > 11.1.3 (8)
iPhone 5 > 7.0.4
iPad > 7.0.4

Thank you
Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Paolo,

The issue with the Chapters list not being available is an iOS bug that affects any and all Audiobooks, including those sold by Apple. Files created with Audiobook Builder do indeed contain Chapter marks still and those can be viewed in iTunes on your Mac by playing a file and then going up to click on the Chapters menu that will appear at the top of the screen.

Now, unfortunately, there's neither a workaround for showing Chapters in the Music app nor are we familiar any apps out there that will show Chapters (if you find one, let us know). We've submitted a bug report to Apple about the issue, so hopefully they'll fix it soon. This particular bug has come and gone and we try to stay on top of hounding Apple about getting it taken care of. The crazy thing is that Chapter display options actually worked for the most part in iOS 4, disappeared in versions of iOS 5, came back later in iOS 6 for the iPhone but not iPad, and now it's gone again. So, yeah, it's been a lot of ups and downs.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:25 am 

Dear Allan

If so I am willing to use the function to create parts in the section "finish" > build options.

Can you please let me know how to make this "option" the default one, so that from now on all my audiobooks will be divided in parts?

Thank you
Paolo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

As soon as you’ve used the ‘Per Chapter’ Part Style option, any new Projects you create from here on in will already have that option selected. So, you’ll essentially establish that as your default setting, it’s just that older projects will retain the Part Style set in them already.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:19 pm 

iOS update 7.1 puts chapter button on upper left, three dotted lines. Tapping that will bring up the chapter list.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

What device are you using, chinajon?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:04 pm 

It's disappointing about the missing chapters. I look forward to Apple fixing the problem. Thank you for the information in this forum thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:35 am 

Well, I have no 3 dotted lines in the upper left and the ones on the right don't show me chapters. Although it's possible to skip to chapters by clicking the "next track" button.

Nevertheless, in iOS8 beta 5 still no chapter selection. My "Bug" which I filed was closed with the comment: It already exists. So they are well aware of the problem but ignore it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:51 am 

Recently I started to use the app Bookmobile. Here you can see all your chapters in a m4b file as long as it has no drm.

You need some getting used to the app, but it can do some nice things that Apple music player app can't.

I still hope for Apple to fix this, but I doubt very much they will, so I am glad I have the Bookmobile app to use.