Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: iCloud sync
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:32 pm 

I use Checkbook on 2 different Macs. iCloud worked fine at first, but I've noticed that within the last week or so, if I keep my checkbook updated on one machine, the changes do not appear on the other. I've tried closing out of the app on each device and reopening the iCloud file, with no success.

Post subject: Re: iCloud sync
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

How's iCloud syncing working out with other applications on the Mac that doesn't appear to be getting update?

No matter the case, there are several checks you can perform to verify that everything's still setup properly. First, ensure your internet connection is stable. Then, on all Macs involved, check again that CheckBook has the same document open—you can check the path to the document by Command-clicking or right-clicking the name of the document at the top of the window (for iCloud, the path will simply be “iCloud/Document Name”). Also, make sure iCloud or your cloud storage service is enabled. Finally, check the status of iCloud’s Documents in the Cloud service at http://www.apple.com/ support/systemstatus/. If it’s not green Apple will resolve the issue as soon as possible.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:06 pm 

. . . yes, my internet works. Yes, I know how to open the proper file. Yes, Apple services are OK. No, changes on one machine are not getting pushed to the other. The last time the two were in sync was August 27.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

At this point, we'll want to ensure that CheckBook's iCloud syncing is working in other cases—it's important to rule out whether it's just a hang-up unique to your current document. Anyway, for that, create a new document in iCloud using CheckBook and then see if you can access it from the other Mac.

Whether or not that check works (but particularly if it does), we'll want to see screenshots of CheckBook's Open panel with the iCloud folder selected on both Macs to verify the status of the various documents. For that, choose Open from the File menu at the top of the screen, hit the iCloud button in the top left, and take the shot. To take a screenshot, hold down the Shift and Command keys with one hand while hitting the number 3 key with the other hand. You'll hear a camera shutter sound and an image file will save to the Desktop. Repeat the process from the second Mac and use the Upload attachment options to add the images to a reply Post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:51 am 

I am having the same issue. I created a new account file on one machine and moved it to iCloud. I can see that test file on the machine that created it but not on the other machine. This had been working flawlessly until this week. All other syncing and iCloud programs are working fine. Screen shots attached.

Any suggestions?

Attachments:
File comment: Computer where test file cannot be seen in iCloud.
computer 2.jpg
computer 2.jpg [ 54.34 KiB | Viewed 28315 times ]
File comment: Computer where test file was created and moved to iCloud.
computer 1.jpg
computer 1.jpg [ 50.95 KiB | Viewed 28315 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:44 pm 

All of a sudden this started working again today. Not sure if you made any changes on your end but all is working fine right now. The test file showed and new entries are syncing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It's great to hear that the iCloud syncing issue sorted itself out—sometimes it just takes time for files to appear with the iCloud service being quite finicky. Unfortunately, we don't have any control over it here because that's all handled by Apple. Keep us posted on how things progress, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:09 pm 

Hello there Splasm,

I bought CBP from Splasm a few months ago. Today, I removed the Splasm app from both my Macs and bought another CHP from the App Store to take advantage of iCloud syncing. I write because it isn't syncing automatically.

I have two Macs, a 2015 iMac on my desk and a 2013 MacBook Air that travels with me. Both Macs run the same macOS, 10.14.6 (18G95), and both have a copy of the CHP app (2.6.8, 485) that I just downloaded from the App Store. The computers' file structures are identical. The iMac helps serve my email, and is on 24/7.

My net connection is both fast and stable. The Apple system status page shows all green.

I use iCloud Drive to sync other files between these two computers: Keychain, Safari Contacts, Calendars, Find My Mac, and System Preferences. All work very well, and pretty much instantaneously. With the App Store download, CHP now appears in both machines in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > iCloud Drive Options, with the CBP selection box checked.

Both Macs are on my desk, connected to the same wifi. The issue is that in order for syncing to occur, I have to have both machines open, select File > Sync on both machines, then push the "Sync" button in both machines' dialogs.

What I'm experiencing is a manual sync, not the " ...automatically sync with other devices using iCloud's Documents in the Cloud feature" that's stated in CBP Help. No syncing occurs unless I navigate to the Sync button and press it.

Have I missed something in my setup? Is there other troubleshooting I might try?

Thanks,

David Brick
Santa Cruz CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

For iCloud syncing to work, we need to be sure your document has been moved to iCloud, first thing. That's done by opening CheckBook Pro on one Mac, then going to the File menu and using the Move To... option. After that, wait a bit, then go to CheckBook Pro on the other Mac, and use the Open option under the File menu to bring up the same iCloud document.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:38 pm 

Hello Allan,

Thanks for your quick reply!

When I select File > Move To... on one of the Macs, I'm presented with a dialog that displays the folder where my CBP Accounts document is kept. If I click on the folder entry, a drop-down list displays other locations: the enclosing Documents folder and User folder, the Desktop and hard drive, and a few other recent locations.

iCloud isn't on the list, nor is the CBP Accounts document itself. If I create a new window in the Finder, however, iCloud is one of the entries on the left side.

What's next?

Thanks again.

-David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Try selecting the Other... menu item, down at the bottom of the list and you'll be able to navigate to any location on your Mac.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:57 pm 

Selecting "Other" does let me navigate, and I could get to the folder enclosing the CBP Accounts document, but the CBP document itself was greyed out. (All individual documents on the SSD were greyed out; only folders could be selected.)

I selected the enclosing folder, and waited a few minutes. Then I added a test transaction on one Mac, and waited.

The test transaction didn't appear on the other Mac. Out of curiosity, I logged into iCloud, and selected "iCloud Drive." iCloud Drive was empty.

Am I navigating to and selecting the correct item? Or perhaps I've stepped off the path somewhere else?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

After hitting Other..., you'll want to navigate to the iCloud Drive folder, select that folder, and hit Move to proceed. You're telling the application where you want to move the document, when using the Move To option.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm 

Success!

When I first went to the other machine (i.e., not the one on which I'd selected "Move to..."), and selected File > Open, neither the enclosing folder nor the enclosed Accounts document appeared. After while, the Accounts document showed up within iCloud, and could be selected. I did that. Presto! Sync takes a minute or two, I've no problem with that.

Thanks for your patience. CBP is now synching automatically in both directions.