Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Importing from iCash
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:45 am 

Hi all,

I got this app "by accident" so to say (shoeZot :-) ) and had used iCash upto now. I tried to import the qif-data from there to give this one a try, but it doesn't seem to work right.

1. Though transactions get imported, the "from/to" fields are all empty

2. Checkbook doesn't let me import all transactions at once but on a kind of account-basis.

Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong here? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

1. I just tried to import a QIF file from iCash and each of the Payees specified in a test account did show up when imported into CheckBook. Can you confirm you have actual Payees specified in iCash? If so, can you open the file exported from iCash and scroll through it looking for any line that begins with an uppercase 'P' to see if your Payees are in the QIF file?

2. You're not doing anything wrong there. Most actions in CheckBook, including Import, are directed at the currently selected Account. There is no automatic way to relate incoming QIF accounts with CheckBook Accounts and the only way to import multiple accounts simultaneously, without creating new Accounts to accommodate, would be to require the user to tell CheckBook which incoming accounts go where. Rather than attempt that, CheckBook's Import process limits the user to importing a single account at a time, with the currently selected Account implied as the destination for the Import.

The most common reason to import a number of accounts simultaneously is when users are in your position - starting up with CheckBook with financial history from another personal finance management tool. That's usually a one-time event. We're considering providing a way to import that history and create Accounts automatically, but right now we feel it would be better to place that functionality inside a "migration" process. That way, most users would skip it in regular use instead of accidentally bringing in too much and most likely unwanted data.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject: Silly me... :-)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:17 am 

thanks for your answer, I guess I got a bit confused as I'm using the Germany version of iCash. I have no payees defined in my own datafile, just origin- and target-accounts. Somehow I had the impression the "from/to" field would have to be the target account from iCash. Thanks for your explanations regarding the import of accounts, but I'll stick with iCash for the moment until I have some spare time to try out CheckBook thoroughly. Again, thanks for your efforts.