Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Splits for transfers?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:09 pm 

Is it possible or are you planning on making it possible for splits to be done for transfers?

Here is what I am attempting to accomplish: I have multiple accounts (30 or so with one main account). When transferring funds from the main account or into the main account it would be very useful to allow the transfer to be split among a selected group of those other accounts. Without a split function (both directions into and out of the one account) this becomes very labor intensive with this many accounts.

Other than this function your software appears fantastic.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We're redesigning both Transfers and Splits for CheckBook 2.0, but hadn't planned to take them as far as you're suggesting. We'll look at including an origin/destination Account in each Split line item, though this might not make the cut for the first release of 2.0. We believe we're still on track to get 2.0 out the door at the very end of this year.

Are you planning on using this for disbursing funds to budgeted Accounts?

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:09 pm 

Keith,

Thank you for the quick reply! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the splits option makes it into vs. 2.

I am planning to use this feature to help track and manage my son's cub scout group's finances. Running a small group of 30 boys I was planning on giving each boy a seperate "virtual" account. Then, as they make money from fund raising or have to use the money in their account I would add or subtract it from the main account.

There is a software out there that a group makes specifically for scouts-- but it is PC only and (from my experience using it for over a year now) very poorly designed. I needed something simple, well-designed and, of course, Mac based. I have been testing a number of different programs but really enjoy the UI, ease and reporting features you have developed in CheckBook.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:41 pm 

Hi,

I'm very interested in using the feature discussed in this thread ... the ability to specify a Transfer as a Split item. Has there been any progress on this? I'm using CheckBook Pro 2.0. Thanks,

Eric

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:23 pm 

Hi,

I'm using CBP 2 build 2 and it is great - easy to use, simply entry, quick lookup of information.

One thing that is important to me are the splits. I often have income deposited into one account that needs to show originating from different 'to accounts'. As far as I can tell, splitting the transaction, using different accounts in the 'to' field will not correctly indicate it is from the 'to accout'.

Is there any way to do this easily?

If not, any workarounds?

Thanks a lot,

Seamus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:54 pm 

I'm all over the split thing too. What I'm trying to do, and do often, is the following:

With "real" bank accounts:
- transfer a chunk of money from Acct a to acct b
- I prefer to do one transfer to minimize transactions and transaction charges

With 'ghost' accounts:
- I use 'ghost' accounts to further categorize money within a real account. So for eg - I have a savings account and 3 ghost accounts for current month budgetted spending, next month spending budget, current month fun spending

So what I'd like to have happen, and it doesnt seem to work is:
- split acct A transaction (this is the transfer out of the acct) to ghost acct 1 and 2 (I tried this using the "To Account" feature and it does not appear to work)
- just accept acct b transaction (the incoming transfer) as is
- for the moment I had to manually create deposit transactions in ghost accts 1 and 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Currently there is not a way to set multiple account destinations within a split transfer. It is on our list for a revision of CheckBook in the near future, but currently much of our time is devoted to a mobile version of CheckBook for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

As far as facilitating future budgeting concerns, a good tool to use is the 'look ahead' feature in the pending schedules sheet. If you enter in all of your recurring items in the schedule section, you can use the scheduled button above to bring down the pending scheduled items sheet. The 'Look Ahead' tool is at the bottom left of the window. You can drag the slider forward days, months, or even years. If you have a fairly accurate set of scheduled items, you can project your balance for the end of the month, next month or even as far ahead as 10 years.

You can also use Folders and Smart Folders to further organize your entries in groups without creating accounts outside your main account. This will help preserve your 'All Accounts' total.

I hope some of this helps you organize things the way you like!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 am 

I am really pleased to see this thread being discussed, and I too desperately need splits to include multiple accounts. For example, when travelling oversees, I am paid standard allowances, and then a deduction from salary is made to cover any cash drawings I make when travelling. I therefore need to show a deposit into my bank account which is made up of a greater amount, and also a smaller transfer to the company card account - the remainder being the total paid into my current account.

This is one of very few flaws I have found with this software - the others being the lack of a warning when unreconciling a transaction, the inability to set up a "standard" view for columns and orders (which to be fair is a minor irritation) and less than sparkling reporting - although again this is easily got round.

The only other criticism I have is that the best feature of the software is so hidden - I missed it completely first time round and wrote CBP off until I was so fed up with the other program I went to doing weird stuff that I gave it another go. I refer of course to the filtering option.... flexible, powerful, and very useful...... and far too easy to be unaware of.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 am 

How may I enter an ATM withdrawal for, say, $203 of which:
$3 is a bank fee
$200 is a "transfer" to my cash account ?