Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:18 am 

Audiobook Builder is working great for single books. But for multiple books, and books that already exist as .mp3's, it's needlessly time consuming to get things done. It sure would be better with batch processing.

I have about 100 books in MP3 format that I'd like to convert. Since each book takes, on average, about 15 to 30 minutes to process on my 2.4 GHz Core Duo iMac, I would have to sit down in front of my computer every half 15 to 30 minutes for the next couple of weeks to manually queue up all these books. Even just setting up the project and adding files takes as long as 15 minutes, depending on the length and number of files in the book. With my schedule, practically speaking, that means I could do one or two books a day for the next 50-100 days, if my attention span was that long, which it isn't. Currently, there's no way for me to have the machine work overnight, or when I'm away (like at work or on vacation). I'd love to be able to line up a bunch of projects and let 'em rip for a week.

The process of creating a "project" is very repetitive and slow. Since I already have these files in iTunes with art, tags, etc., I would like to be able to queue up a bunch of itunes folders, set a preference to have ABB automatically extract the title, author and artwork from mp3 tags for each book, and to do the rest of the conversion unattended. If ABB would create a project file for each title in the batch as it runs, then if a book or two ends up with the wrong chapter placement, I could edit it manually and requeue that item in the batch list.

###

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:39 pm 

You can create a new project, set up all the settings that you want to be the same for all your books
Save that project.
Then duplicate both the ABB program and the project that you created
Then open each project with an other ABB program (drag&drop the project on the program, to have them open with different ABB programs)
Then, having all those ABB running, start with the first one
Import the mp3s, go to the next, import the audio there.. and so on
You can then simply set them all up, import files, set chapters, set titles..
And let them all build the audiobooks at the same time...

if you want to build more books at the same time, create more duplicates from the original project and program, and simply open new instances of ABB..

I have used this more then once, I usually have about 5 ABBs running at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:43 pm 

That's a creative workaround. However, I too would really appreciate the ability to process multiple projects simultaneously.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:56 am 

Is there any information or update available on the batch processing in ABB?

I've searched the forum as well as outside, but don't see anything recent.

I love love love the app (using since 2009), this would be a great feature.

Markie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We are planning on adding it to a future release of Audiobook Builder, but we don't know when exactly the update will be ready. We are working really hard to finish adding some big, new features to CheckBook Pro at the moment, so it could be toward the end of the year before we can get to making some big changes to Audiobook Builder.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:08 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have to *like* it, but I do understand. :wink:

I appreciate the update.

Markie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:46 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
We are planning on adding it to a future release of Audiobook Builder, but we don't know when exactly the update will be ready. We are working really hard to finish adding some big, new features to CheckBook Pro at the moment, so it could be toward the end of the year before we can get to making some big changes to Audiobook Builder.

Hey Allan,
I just wanted to ask if there's anything new on the multi-project feature, there might have happened something in the last 10 years, and processing multiple audiobooks on an M1 Max is hella fast when using the trick of multiple program copies, but a native approach would be amazing.

Greetings from Germany,
verwalt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:02 am 

I would like to see this feature in a version 3. And I would be happy to pay the full price again. :wink:

Have a perfect day! (Also from Germany)