Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 am 

I just built my first audio book using a book with 15 CDs. I had no problem importing, but when I built the book and went to iTunes to listen, the CDs are completely out of order. What did I do wrong and how can I correct this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Is your book contained in one file or did it create a part file for each chapter? Sometimes iTunes can mishandle how to sort books that have a part per chapter.

If your book is one or a few part files, are the chapters in the correct order in your project file and look out of order under the chapter menu in itunes while playing back your book? Or is iTunes playing a chapter back but playing the wrong audio for that labeled chapter?

Any extra information on process, build options or even screenshots of your chapter tab along with a screenshot of the chapter menu within iTunes would be helpful. If Audiobook Builder is indeed somehow building your book out of order, we may need to get your project file here to duplicate the issue on our macs so we can get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks for your extra help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:46 pm 

I'm not sure how to answer your questions. One chapter can contain several files, but they are not labeled as such. Here is a screen shot if this helps explain my situation.

[url]http://www.4shared.com/photo/d9J_Gbes/DeceptionPoint.html
[/url]

when I listen in iTunes and advance to NEXT CHAPTER, it is not in order. I even skips to a different disc. No chapters are labeled.

Any extra information on process, build options or even screenshots of your chapter tab along with a screenshot of the chapter menu within iTunes would be helpful. If Audiobook Builder is indeed somehow building your book out of order, we may need to get your project file here to duplicate the issue on our macs so we can get to the bottom of the issue.

I can't get the screen shot to appear here. It is located here:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/d9J_Gbes/D ... Point.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Are you using the standard 'next' button to skip chapters? If so, you may be just skipping to the next track and not actually skipping to the next chapter.

To skip ahead in a chapter in iTunes using the big button controls, make sure you hold the 'Shift' key while clicking the button to have iTunes skip to the next chapter instead of the next book or part file.

If you prefer to use a keyboard shortcut to navigate chapters, hold Command, Shift, and press the right or left arrow keys to skip forward and back between chapters. You can also find 'Previous Chapter' and 'Next Chapter' under the Controls menu.

Let us know if this does not help with your issue. Thanks Susan!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:37 pm 

Are you using the standard 'next' button to skip chapters? If so, you may be just skipping to the next track and not actually skipping to the next chapter.

I don't know where the 'next' button is located. I am using the 'Next Chapter' under the controls menu. On closer examination, it appears that when I select 'Next Chapter' it advances to the next disc. The individual chapters are not delineated. Is there a way to rebuilt the book so I can advance chapter by chapter and not disc?

To skip ahead in a chapter in iTunes using the big button controls, make sure you hold the 'Shift' key while clicking the button to have iTunes skip to the next chapter instead of the next book or part file.

Where are the big button controls? Thanks for your assistance!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

If you are using the 'Next Chapter' controls, you are doing it correctly. Do any chapters show up in the 'Chapters' menu at the top of the screen while playing back your book in iTunes?

How many part files does Audiobook Builder say your book has if you click on the finish tab of your project?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 pm 

Randy K. wrote:
If you are using the 'Next Chapter' controls, you are doing it correctly. Do any chapters show up in the 'Chapters' menu at the top of the screen while playing back your book in iTunes?

How many part files does Audiobook Builder say your book has if you click on the finish tab of your project?

I trashed the file that Audiobook Builder created after it imported into iTunes. However, as I recall, each disc had about 20 files with none of them labled other than file 1....file 2....file 3....etc. Some actual book chapters might be comprised of 2-3 files. I think I can listen to the book as it is now, but would prefer to be able to advance one chapter at a time instead of one disc at a time. If the bookmarkable tab works, then I should be OK. For future books I would prefer to have actual book chapters.

FYI....the last four discs that comprise Deception Point Part 2 had a long blank space that didn't convert. I discovered it when I opened the file with WireTap and was able to 'see' the recording. I re-did the last four discs and everything was fine. I would have been very disappointed if I had listened to 6 hours and then hit a dead space. Is there any way Audiobook Builder might incorporate a method to verify that everything transferred as it should?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There has been some cases when damage, dirt or scratches gives Audiobook Builder a tough time in getting through the data. In some cases, the corrupted data cannot be fully ripped and some silence can occur in the damaged sections.

We will look into ways of detecting if a CD is having issues on import and warn the user about potential corruption. We do appreciate all the feedback dealing with this issue, and hope you contact us again if you hit further snags. You can do so here or email us directly at customerservice@splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 pm 

Thanks for all your assistance. I'm certain I'm going to enjoy using Audiobook Builder.