Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Comments on work flow
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:19 pm 

So far nice job. It imported Q, data flawlessly, balances match.

I really, really like the different balance options at the bottom of the register, particularly the ability to show the balance for only cleared transactions. It's a big time saver. Plus the ability to have instant reports on certain folders/categories is invaluable.

However, being set in my ways after being a Q user and its predecessor, Electronic Checkbook since 1988 (I have account files going back that far), I am not doing well with the differences in interface. I realize that they are your design choices, but they don't work well for me.

I'd far rather enter transactions directly into the check register. I understand that you have created a check stub metaphor, but it takes too many steps and more time, plus I have made errors. I'm sure the errors will diminish if I was to use it longer, but the extra steps and time spent will not.

The different colored rows for deposits and checks in the register really throws me. I turned them off, but now if I overdraw, it is not immdiately apparent. I prefer to keep the entries all black with a minus balance showing in red.

With the colors turned off, the difference between checks and deposits is not as obvious. In fact, it's a bit confusing (old eyes). Like in my old manual checkbook, I would far rather checks and deposits had their own columns.

Just one person's opinion...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:43 am 

I like the idea of colors matching balance rather than type. In MSMoney (sorry, I used it for years and do miss it!) there were two columns, one for + and one for -; this was a better solution to me than colors. I like the idea of "in the black" and "in the red" as I've seen others mention. The negative sign just isn't obvious enough. Even if it were to change to ($1.00) that would be more effective IMHO.