Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:11 am 

Hello All:

I just installed Snow Leopard several days ago, and I'm wondering about some possible issues with ABB and with the newest version of iTunes. If ABB is copying an audio CD and the drop-down sheet showing the copying progress bar is showing, the sheet does not go away when copying is done. I hear the chime, the progress bar is all the way to end, and a comparison between the CD and the finished copy indicates that all tracks have been copied. The completed progress bar just sits there. So it's not possible to do anything. This happens about 75% of the time. The rest of the time the sheet retracts and the full window underneath appears. Clicking on the "x" at the right of the progress bar has no effect. I've been ejecting the disk, quitting ABB, reopening it and opening the build again. According to the window, everything has been copied OK. Curious.

In iTunes, in Preferences, there seems to be no choice, under "Importing CDs", to do *nothing." I have it set to "Ask" but it's not "asking." (Except, rarely, on the first CD of a set.) I open ABB, insert the disk, then iTunes opens (even if it's not running), and shows a window with the tracks. I quit iTunes, bring ABB to the front, and all goes pretty much as expected. Is there any way to make iTunes leave me alone under these circumstances? Granted, it's not a serious issue. It's just annoying.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:59 am 

Sorry, but I forgot to ask this as well.

Is there any way to force ABB to copy whatever tracks it can from a damaged disk? It's very discouraging to get to Disk 14 out 15, and then get a message that the disk is damaged and cannot be copied. This has happened several times and usually (I could be wrong about this), when I examine the disk, it does seem to be damaged, but only in very specific areas. I'm wondering if one could force the copying to continue, in order to get whatever one can from the disk. I don't mind some blank spaces in the recording. (My disks come from the library and, while most of them are in better shape than one might expect, some of them are not.)

Thanks.

John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

iTunes may be a better option to try and struggle through a damaged disc if you turn on error correction in the iTunes preferences. The only issue is that you may end up with large silent sections in the audio which are hard to track down. After you get as much imported of the disc as you can, you can select those imported tracks, go back to Audiobook Builder, and hit the 'Add iTunes' button to bring in those selected tracks. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:41 pm 

Thanks, Randy. I'll give it a try.

John