Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Couple of reports already from iPod touch users who've just upgraded to firmware 2.0.2 letting us know that only the last Part of their multiple Part Audiobooks are playing properly now. We've duplicated the issue with a 64Kbps/32kHz/mono test file 12 hours in length here and we're about to test on an upgraded iPhone 3G. Stay tuned, answers are coming.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The issue does affect the iPhone with firmware 2.0.2.

Same test file shortened to 11:55:00 also fails.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Same test file shortened to 11:30:00 also fails. And now we see the same issue on iPod touch/iPhone firmware 2.0.1 and 2.0. We’re working our way down in length to try to find a case with this particular test file where the issue does not occur.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We believe we've cornered a major component of the underlying cause. We're working on implementing a fix and will begin testing soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:41 pm 

any progress on a fix? I would really like to start using my iPhone to listen to my Audiobooks again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We have just released Audiobook Builder 1.0.11 that fixes this issue. If you still have the project files for these books, you can simply rebuild the book using 1.0.11, and replace the audiobook on your ipod with the copy you just newly created. For those who no longer have those project files and need to adjust existing audiobooks to work on the new iPod touch and iPhone firmware, we have a utility called 'Audiobook builder Assistant' that can adjust existing audiobooks to work on the new 2.0 firmware. The download is available here: http://www.splasm.com/audiobookbuilder/downloads.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:42 pm 

Please help with using ABB Assistant.
Details of problem.
all 112 Audiobooks for iTunes built with v 1.0.8
none transfered to iPod yet
saved only 3 project files

opened ABB Assistant-
selected task-
app opened nelson demille the general's daughter in audiobooks folder at first track, not at folder named The General's Daughter as it did when audiobook was originally built with ABB-
this is resulting dialog box-
Attachment:
File comment: Screenshot ABB Assistant dialog box
ABB Assistant Dialog 12.27.8.jpg
ABB Assistant Dialog 12.27.8.jpg [ 29.06 KiB | Viewed 55062 times ]

there is no indication that all 12 mp3 files in folder were affected or meaning of message in dialog box-
Will you please provide detailed instructions on what to do and what to expect when using ABB Assistant, and when rebuilding book using 1.0.11 on saved project files.
What exactly is meant by "the last Part of their multiple Part Audiobooks"?
Were these Audiobooks created with 'multiple chapters' or 'multiple part folders'.
If there were only multiple mp3 files, but no separate part folders involved, do those Audiobooks need to be rebuilt with 1.0.11, or adjusted with ABB Assistant?
I also have a question that has nothing to do with this problem, but I'm here so...
I thought the problem with files over 2.5 hours long, on older iPods, had been resolved, but after reading all current threads to see if someone else had asked for help with ABB Assistant, I see the problem is still being mentioned as recently as yesterday 1/7/8.
Am I wrong that the problem had been fixed a long time ago, or is this a new version of the same problem? :?
Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The ABB assistant is meant to process the final output of Audiobook Builder, which are .M4B or .M4A files. ABB assistant will not be able to process .MP3 files which is the type of file listed in your error message. Audiobook Builder does not output .MP3 files because they do not retain chapter markers or other features necessary for audiobooks.

The problem mentioned with audiobooks over 2.5 hours in length is still there, on classic iPods. For the most part we don't think the same problem is present on the iPhone, iPod touch, or any other flash based iPods. Apple never got around to resolving the problem as far as we know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:26 pm 

Well, that's confusing, because the dialog box says 'Your Audiobooks have been updated.', when it had not been.
But then, I'm a 68 year old, who is fairly new to computers, so lots of it is confusing. :?

I had forgot to mention that I selected Help from the menu bar looking for instructions on how to run ABB Assistant, as there were none mentioned in this thread, or on download page, but got a 'Help isn't available for Audiobook Builder Assistant.' dialog box.

Does your answer mean that after I selected 'Tasks' in ABB Assistant, I should have then navigated home/music/audiobook builder/ to the m4b files there, instead of to the original mp3 files in my Audio Books folder?
I know dialog box says "Press the OK button to select one or more Audiobooks to update." but would all 141 m4b files in folder be too many for one batch conversion?

I still do not have an iPod, so I'm glad to hear there is no 2.5 hour length problem on the newer iPods.
I like the iTouch, except for the capacity compared to the other types.
That's why I still have not bought one, waiting for them to bump up the Gigs.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your prompt response.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:07 am 
Administrator
Administrator

yes, you can select a whole folder's worth of .m4a or .m4b audiobooks to update. The Audiobook Builder Assistant is really only for Audiobooks made with Audiobook Builder 1.0.10 and older, and you will only see the issue that it repairs on iPhones and the iPod touch. It was the new 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod touch that caused the issue to crop up.

Since you do not have an iPod touch yet, the issue that the assistant fixes wont affect you at all. If you are future proofing your books for a future iPod touch you are going to purchase, then by all means proceed. If the purchase isnt going to be for a while, you may want to just set Audiobook Builder assistant aside until later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:45 am 

Randy K. wrote:
The problem mentioned with audiobooks over 2.5 hours in length is still there, on classic iPods.

I just converted a bunch of audiobooks into eight hour parts. I tried the first one on my iPod touch and it seemed to work fine so I kept on going. While waiting for the last one to build I killed some time reading here in the forums and saw the mentioned problem. My iPod touch is only 8G so most of my audio is on a older iPod classic. I just loaded the AudioBook Builder built books onto my iPod classic and they seem to play fine. What is the problem? I have a bunch more to convert but I don't want to continue if they won't play.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The issue with classic/legacy (non-iPhone OS) iPods is that when a bookmarkable AAC file, such as an Audiobook, of over 2.5 hours in length is paused and resumed after letting the iPod sleep, or when it is interrupted by playing another track and later resumed, the iPod is very likely to return to the main menu a couple of minutes after playback is resumed. The bookmark is lost in the process. This is an issue we reported to Apple over two years ago, with instructions on how to reproduce using only QuickTime Player to create a plain M4A file and setting the track as bookmarkable in iTunes. They acknowledged the issue but, so far, have not committed to a resolution. The issue aside, the files play fine on older iPods when played straight through.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:09 am 

So if I set it at 2.5 hours I will not have a problem?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We haven't received any reports of the issue affecting files under 2.5 hours in length so that's what we suggest.

With the current version of Audiobook Builder you should probably set it for 2:15. There's a chance it will go over that but in general you'll come in under 2:30 that way. This won't be an issue with the next version of Audiobook Builder, 1.1, as it will always stay under the target Part length.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 am 

I just finished doing book number 10 but now I will have to redo them all as I tried the pause/sleep/restart and it did screw up. Can I take the 8 hour one part books and redo them into 2:15 part books or do I need to delete them and start over? The originals that I converted are in the trash bin but pulling them out and reorganizing them would be very time consuming.