Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:47 pm 

I have a couple of audio books that were over 12 hours that needed to be split. This first I left at the default of 12 hours. The second I tried to adjust the time so it would break at the chapter rather than in the middle of the chapter, with a time of just over 7 hours. In the first case, what seem to be a few words are cut off between each part. In the second case, I managed to make it break at the chapter, but the last few words of the previous chapter are cut off. I can't be sure exactly how many words are cut off since I don't have a book to compare to, but it is still annoying not knowing what I missed.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to correct it? I am considering manually keeping the parts short by creating my own individual projects for each part, rather than letting audiobook builder split for me. Is this my best option?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

As it is now, Audiobook Builder only splits parts at the end of files, so it should not truncate in mid sentence unless a file you imported truncates at mid sentence. You may want to verify that the file you imported was not cut off or that if it came from CD, that the file was not fragmented via a dirty or scratched CD.

Let us know if you learn anymore about your situation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:11 pm 

Ok, so I decided to check out how much I am missing with an experiment. I used Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban which is just less than 12 hours. I made one audiobook without spitting it into parts, and then another with the maximum length set at 6 hours. So, at the end of the first part I hear "I can't see Lupin affording something like this." Then, the beginning of the second parts starts "Hermione had just come in..." So I go to check what the unsplit one says and I hear "I can't see Lupin affording something like this. What are you too laughing about. Hermione had just come in..." So, you can see what I missed.

What's up? In this case, I wouldn't have even noticed I missed anything, but sometimes it cuts off in the middle of a word, so I notice. Since I made this with the same project, I can't be from the imported CD track. It does this both in iTunes and on my iPhone 3G. Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

One thing you can try is to open the part in QuickTime player that seems to cut off while playing in iTunes, and verify that the end is clipped off in the file or if iTunes itself is clipping off the playback of the end of the file.

Let us know if playing it back in QuickTime yields different results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 am 

QuickTime does the same thing. I checked the CD track and it looks like it cuts off about 3 seconds of the last track of the part.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:15 pm 

Ok, so it turns out that audiobook builder is cutting off about 3 seconds at the end, regardless of whether the book is being split into parts. I have solved the problem by creating a 4 second track to tack onto the end of the project. This just seems like more work than it should be, and I should not be having this problem. Is this just me, or is this a glitch no one has picked up on before?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

That workaround indicates the audio data was imported properly, so the next step is for us to determine why this is happening with your Project(s). Since we're not able to duplicate the issue here in our own tests we'll contact you directly to continue troubleshooting until we get things working properly there.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:10 pm 

I had a similar problem with a different program that I used on the PC for audiobooks - Markable. Turns out I had changed a setting in Windows Media Player to fade from one song to another so there would be no gap and actually a little bit of crossover where one track faded in and the other out. Markable actually used WMP to do the ripping so it was impacted by those settings. I don't think that ABB uses iTunes but perhaps it use QuickTime for ripping. Check to see if you have a three second crossfade set somewhere.

- John Michl

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:04 pm 

Well, it has been awhile since I wanted to build another audiobook, but now it is time again. And, I have this problem fixed. I re-downloaded AudioBook Builder from the website, and now it seems to be working fine. I decided to do this since Splasm was not able to duplicate the problem, indicating I was solely being affected. It just seemed the next logical thing to do.

I am appreciative of all the help I received and of the excellent support from Splasm. Splasm even offered for me to transfer my project file to them for diagnosis. While I never got around to that, Splasm has nevertheless won me as a customer.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I feel like we need to clarify that we think you really did find an issue - it's just that it's uncommon enough that it goes unnoticed by almost every Audiobook Builder user. Just a few days ago, while testing Audiobook Builder 1.1, we found a way to get a few seconds to disappear from the final output of one of our test Projects. We tracked the cause to a major (and still necessary) fix we implemented for the iPhone/iPod touch last year. Today we were able to work out a way to keep that fix in place without dropping any audio data. The issue is still potentially there in books built by 1.0.11 but it will be resolved very soon in 1.1. 1.1, as with all updates before 2.0, will be a free update for all users who have a license for Audiobook Builder 1.x.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:02 am 

Hi there, I just purchased ABB and am having a similar problem. I spent the day happily making audiobooks, only to discover that the last 5 seconds of each (or each part for multi-part books) is cut off. It looks like the duration/time of the files are being reported incorrectly.

The cut offs occur in Quicktime, and on my ipod. iTunes will play the files to the end, but it exceeds the time displayed. For example, an audiobook that displays a time of 9:44:22 really plays for 9:44:29.

Is there anything I can do to repair these files? Will a new Audiobook Builder Assistant be released to correct them? I dread the thought of re-ripping over 100 discs. I foolishly trashed the project files...yeah, learned my lesson there.

Thanks so much for your help, and for all the hard work you've put into ABB.

System info: OSX 10.5.7, QT 7.6 (1290), iTunes 8.1.1 (10), iPod Touch 2G with 2.2.1 firmware