Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:54 pm 

Has there been any progress in getting books usable again on an iPod? The bug with loosing place in a book has made me give up on using my 5g iPod.

In a small bit of irony, I found a player for my Windows Mobile phone that works great, but it would just be a lot more convenient to use my iPod.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There's been no recent word from Apple. I just sent a bump to our DTS contact there to see if there's anything to be done.

The issue doesn't make Audiobook Builder useless for iPods, though. Files under 2.5 hours work fine and files over 2.5 hours do as well - as long as they are listened to without pausing to listen to something else and the iPod is not allowed to enter deep sleep or power down. It's not as tight as simply throwing any file on your iPod and knowing it will just work - which sounds quite like the way I used to describe PC's vs. Macs and is what should happen - but it does work with a little care.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't believe Apple is so unhelpful. The pause thing is my biggest issue. I listen on my commute to/from work so my iPod will always go to sleep during the day and I often pause a book and switch to music for a while.

Are you saying files under 2.5 hour work as they should? So pausing, sleeping, etc. is not a problem? If they work, I have no problem just remaking books into under 2.5 hour parts. I have a stack of books on CD I got at a store closing for $5 each I've been dying to listen to. :lol:

Thanks for the great program too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:35 pm 

I always just make sure that I look at what time the book is before I start (or pause) it, so that if it resets I can quitckly get back to where I was.. I only need to remember the number for a minute or 2, untill im sure it doesnt reset....

sometimes when I know a book will reset I simply remember where I was, then change the playhead position on my iPod after pressing play, it will then reset, so I can immediently go back to where I was (after it reset)..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 am 

I set my max part time to 2.5 hours and have had no problems since then. Granted it creates more part files than I would prefer -- with too many, I lose track of which part I was listening to -- but otherwise it's a workable solution.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:28 am 

Is this problem solved in the new version?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Unfortunately, the latest version does not address the issue because the issue is not within Audiobook Builder. The classic iPod will exhibit the same symptom with a regular M4A file created from QuickTime Player and set to bookmarkable in iTunes. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=276 for a pretty lengthy discussion about the issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:26 pm 

Does this apply only to the classic iPod? Is there any iPod it does work with without the loss of the bookmark if you shut the ipod down?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's our understanding the issue occurs with both HD and flash-based classic iPods but does not occur with the iPhone and iPod touch. There are also some anecdotal reports that the issue is resolved on the classic iPod with firmware version 1.3 but we have not confirmed this.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:35 am 

Not that this counts as "confirmation," but when I moved to a Classic iPod (from my "old" 5th-gen video iPod), I bumped up the max time in ABB from 2.5 hours to 4. I do a lot of jumping around (pausing, listening to other things, coming back, resuming), and after several weeks of heavy use, I have not yet had the skipping problem.

As a footnote, for those who haven't compared the older and newer models side-by-side, it's important to be clear when referring to the "classic iPod." The Classic iPod that Apple is selling now is not a repackaged 5th-gen video iPod. It's a different beast, with a different interface, and (if what I've read elsewhere is true) a significantly different operating system.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It might help for us to clarify, too. When we say "classic iPod" we're referring to all of the non-iPhone OS iPods.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:44 pm 

I have been following this thread with interest as I recently purchased Audiobook Builder and used it on a book downloaded from eMusic. On my 5th generation iPod, I did encounter the skipping problem, but I see now that I should have made the files shorter than I did.

However, for the record, I had the problem this morning of an Audible book reverting to the beginning of the file on my iPhone. Sequence: Listened to Audible book on the evening drive home, synced the iPhone to get some new contacts on the phone, played a song, then the iPhone sat overnight. This morning, the audiobook file had lost it's bookmark and began at the beginning of the file.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 am 

When you refer to 2.5 hours, what needs to be that length or shorter? Do they need to be in separate files, or is it enough to have a long audiobook broken up into shorter bookmarked chapters?