Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:25 pm 

I'd like to ask for help with two issues:

First: Some of my credit card payments contain tax-deductible items, and I use CBP's Split function to show those items separately from non-deductible items. Sometimes I forget to tick the "tax deductible" box when first creating those tax-deductible transactions. At a later time, when I see I've made this error, I'd like to amend the single tax-deductible entry to tick the "tax deductible" box, so the entry will appear when I run the "tax items" Summary. I've been unable to rectify my errors.

If the payee triangle is set to set to show all the split amounts, they all highlight and cannot be edited, either using CBP > Entry > Set Category (or Mark), or by further clicking.

With the payee triangle set to only show the master payee (the credit card issuer), double-clicking the payee allows me to set "tax deductible" but only for the single payee, not for a specific split amount.

Is there a way to amend these already-entered split entries? Or is there a way to set the "tax deductible" flag to always apply to a particular category?

Second: is there a way to set the "tax deductible" flag to always auto-complete when a new transaction is created for a previously-used payee such as "Franchise Tax Board?" CBP > Preferences > Entry has the "Autofill Categories" box ticked. Subsequent entries to the same payee autofill the payee's name, but don't autofill the "Tax Deductible" attribute.

Thanks,

David Brick
Santa Cruz CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to have one particular Category automatically be considered Tax-deductible, at least not in a way where the existing Tax-deductible field is activated. But, if you find you need to go back and mark an entry as Tax-deductible later, you can have the item selected, then go to the Entry menu and use the Mark > As Tax-deductible option.

Also, at this time, individual split line items aren't able to considered Tax-deductible while other line items need to be considered Taxable. But, we're looking at including an option for dealing with that sort of situation in a future version. The same goes for automatically applying Tax-deductible status to an entry whenever a specific To/From item (Payee/Payer) is re-used—that's an option that's not available now, but could make it into a later update.

For now, considering your situation, it may be best to simply setup Tax-deductible as its own Category, and track Tax-deductible status, this way. So, for any item you might categorize as simply "Donation", for example, you'd categorize as "Tax-deductible:Donation", instead—you'd easily be able to see a subtotal for all Tax-deductible items, including individual split lines, while still being able to see a separate Donation subtotal, if needed. This would also make it where "Tax-deductible:Donation" auto-fills the Category field whenever you reuse a To/From item linked with that Category designation.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:44 pm 

Thanks, Allan. That's a very reasonable work-around, which I can easily use to satisfy my keep-track-of-it and show-it-in-a-Summary goals.

I appreciate your prompt and useful answer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:16 pm 

And I should eat some crow here as well.

In my first email, I wrote: If the payee triangle is set to set to show all the split amounts, they all highlight and cannot be edited, either using CBP > Entry > Set Category (or Mark), or by further clicking.

I was wrong. When the triangle is set to display all the split amounts, double-clicking on the category column within the all-is-selected view brings up the Split dialog; in that dialog the user may indeed change the categories of individual entries within the split.

This does not take away from your idea of nested categories for tax deductible items, a useful improvement for my situation.

Thanks again.