Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Scheduling Entries
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:55 pm 

Please clarify how the Scheduled Entries are supposed to work. Does the "Next Entry" date represent the date that you want the payment to clear? How do you set the reminder window to remind you to make the payment the week before? What actually happens when you "commit" a payment?

Thanks,
Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:44 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Good set of questions.

The Next Entry Date is the next date the Scheduled Entry is due, according to the Scheduled Entry's schedule. If a user sets a Scheduled Entry to begin on August 7 and repeat monthly, the first Next Entry Date will be August 7, the next Next Entry Date will be September 7, and so on.

Committing an Entry means the user agrees to let CheckBook place the Entry into the current Account. CheckBook will remind the user on the day each Scheduled Entry is due, presenting a list of all Scheduled Entries that are due on and before that date that have not yet been committed or skipped. The user may commit or skip a pending Scheduled Entry, depending on how they set the Entry's corresponding Commit checkbox in the list of pending Entries, or put off these decisions until later by pressing the Later button at the bottom right of the list.

CheckBook does not provide a mechanism for reminding the user that a Scheduled Entry is due before its Next Entry Date. We appreciate how much this would enhance our Scheduled Entries, and we are considering adding this feature in a follow-up release to CheckBook 1.5.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:44 am 

This is surely why allowing scheduled items to be put into the main area at least a month earlier to allow for budgeting and working out of allowable funds after these are taken into account, this is the only criticism i have of this product. Even though I paid my money for the program I can not use it until this is instigated. I am using Excel to budget, budgeting is an important area for program's of this ilk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:29 pm 

I can use the scheduled area as a basis for determining what payments need to be mailed, but it would be beneficial if the program identified what scheduled items have actually been mailed.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:46 pm 

Quote:
... CheckBook will remind the user on the day each Scheduled Entry is due, presenting a list of all Scheduled Entries that are due on and before that date that have not yet been committed or skipped.

Could you please explain a little more about the reminder? Is it automatic, for example, when CheckBook is opened that day? Or when the account is opened that day?

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:57 pm 

Quote:
...this is the only criticism i have of this product. Even though I paid my money for the program I can not use it until this is instigated. I am using Excel to budget, budgeting is an important area for program's of this ilk!

I agree it would be a nice feature but my experience is that budgeting for personal finances has about as many ways of doing it as there are people budgeting. I personally do not find the lack of this feature to be a deal breaker in using CheckBook. After using Quicken for a number of years I find the lack of features in CheckBook to be a blessing.

Obviously your situation is different than mine.

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Wayne Dreier wrote:
Quote:
... CheckBook will remind the user on the day each Scheduled Entry is due, presenting a list of all Scheduled Entries that are due on and before that date that have not yet been committed or skipped.

Could you please explain a little more about the reminder? Is it automatic, for example, when CheckBook is opened that day? Or when the account is opened that day?

The Schedule Reminder is per-Account and will appear for each Account shortly after that Account is selected. The last selected Account is (usually) automatically re-selected when CheckBook launches, which leads to the Schedule Reminder for that Account appearing shortly after launch. When the Schedule Reminder is dismissed using the Later button, it will wait until the selected 'Remind Every:' time interval has passed. That timing is currently reset when the Account itself is re-selected, ie. if you select an Account, review and dismiss the Schedule Reminder with a time interval of 15 minutes selected, select another Account, then re-select the first Account the Schedule Reminder for the first Account will appear shortly after that Account is selected instead of waiting the full 15 minutes. Some (possibly most) users may prefer that the Schedule Reminder wait the full time interval - there's definitely an opportunity to improve there.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:51 pm 

It would probably be a reasonable compromise to allow for scheduled entries to appear (or not) even before being committed.
This should please those (like myself) who like to plan in advance, being able to know what's the disposable income still available after meeting all fixed commitments, without annoying those who do not care, who would simply never tick this option by the scheduled entry.
It may be also worth considering whether the option of "automatic commit" should be available (it wouldn't be dangerous, as one could always recall an unwanted commit afterwards).
I am not sure what's your development environment, but at first sight it shouldn't be a major development effort, hopefully.
Also, please make "checks" an option, as in many locales in Europe (including mine) we no longer use checks [all transactions are via EFT or remote banking], and masking off that useless column requires a bit of juggling.
Program perfectly useful and well designed-my judgment is of course unchanged. These are minor whistles and bells.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:41 am 

My bank shows scheduled payments as soon as one is paid.

So, once this month's payment to my cable company is e-paid, next month's pops up in the scheduled payments area. I like this idea much better than having to wait until the payment date to see that the payment is going to be made.

The bank can't show scheduled credits because they don't control them.

In Checkbook, I'd like all scheduled items to display right after the previous scheduled item has been fulfilled -- so my social security and pension direct deposits show up along with my scheduled payments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:08 pm 

t3rockhall writes:

"The bank can't show scheduled credits because they don't control them.

In Checkbook, I'd like all scheduled items to display right after the previous scheduled item has been fulfilled -- so my social security and pension direct deposits show up along with my scheduled payments."

I do not understand what t3rockhall wishes, as this is precisely what Checkbook does, i.e. as soon as a scheduled transaction is committed, it will be shown in the entry view, whilst in the scheduled entries view the next occurrence of the scheduled entry will be shown.

As to me, I hope I made clear that what bothers me is the two views: essentially I want to see scheduled vies in the ordinary view, even before they are committed, at least for the current month.

ThufirHawat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:31 am 

What's to understand?? I want my next scheduled events to appear on the main (ENTRY) page for the next payment/credit. I don't want to have to go look on another page to see them, or wait until the event date to see how they impact my budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:17 am 

t3rockhall wrote:
What's to understand?? I want my next scheduled events to appear on the main (ENTRY) page for the next payment/credit. I don't want to have to go look on another page to see them, or wait until the event date to see how they impact my budget.

Ah, then we want exactly the same thing. Sorry I didn't get you at first.
Let's see whether the developers would consider our wishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:24 am 

daleclarke wrote:
This is surely why allowing scheduled items to be put into the main area at least a month earlier to allow for budgeting and working out of allowable funds after these are taken into account, this is the only criticism i have of this product. Even though I paid my money for the program I can not use it until this is instigated. I am using Excel to budget, budgeting is an important area for program's of this ilk!

I've been thinking about this complaint. The simplest workaround for a reminder is for you to put the scheduled event in on the date you want to be "reminded" and it will pop up in the main window on THAT date. You can then modify the event as to actual date and/or amount on the day you pay it. I could enter a scheduled event "Check American Express Online" for the 4th of each month with any amount from zero dollars up, and it would tell me that on the 4th. I could then delete the entry after action was taken or modify it to "American Express" when I finally paid the bill. NO???

But yes, the scheduled events should appear a month early, right after they have occurred.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:03 am 

Another feature that would give "advance notice" of the scheduled entries would be to add the option of including the Scheduled Entries when creating a custom "Summary Report." That way you could run a report from today's date to perhaps the end of the month-- if you could then select "Scheduled Entries" in the "Show" menu, it would take those future transactions into account.

C'mon splasm!!! That option should be EASY to write, eh???

thanks for a great product!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:28 pm 

Look, we are all going to buy the release 2.0, whenever it will come out.
Would it cost you so much to add the feature to see, optionally, scheduled entries for the current month even before committing them finally?
You could do it re-using the code you use for future transactions (shown in italics, running total updated, but transaction is only committed at the given date).
At the moment it is impossible to do forward budgeting, even within the same month!
Thanks.

ThufirHawat