Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:27 pm 

Hi. I have been using the AudioBook Builder and have successfully created several books, including all of Roald Dahl's and Tolkien's The Hobbit. Now I'm creating the Lord of the Rings (in 3 separate books). I have so far done the first two.

When I look in the audiobook folder on my system I can see The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers and all seems well. However, when I go into iTunes Audiobooks they aren't there! The Roald Dahl Books and The Hobbit are, but not the Lord of the Rings ones.

I'm unsure where I'm going wrong and can't find any help in the support files or on the forum.

Many thanks in advance.

larmyia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:56 pm 

UPDATE: I finished creating the final book in the series - The Return of the King and it's showing up in iTunes as expected. The other 2 are still absent. Please help!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

One situation where a file built with Audiobook Builder might not show in the Audiobook section when it makes it to iTunes is if it was created using the M4A option as opposed to the default M4B option. Do your files show as having a .m4a file extension wherever they're saved? If so, search for them in the Music section and then change the Media Kind to Audiobook. Or, go back to your Projects, click the Build Options button in the Finish section, select the M4B option, and then rebuild.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:53 pm 

Hi Allan. thanks for the tip. Unfortunately that's not what is happening. I've attached screen shots to show you. Maybe you can spot something that I'm missing....?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.53.06 am.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.53.06 am.png [ 147.52 KiB | Viewed 22960 times ]
Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.52.16 am.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.52.16 am.png [ 58.74 KiB | Viewed 22960 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:23 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for providing additional information. It's strange that the files are M4B's but don't appear in the Audiobook section as expected. When Audiobooks are built using Audiobook Builder, the final files should get added to both the Audiobook section as well as in an Audiobook Builder Playlist. So, now what we'd like to know is if the items you're looking for appear in the Audiobook Builder Playlist, which can be found under Music/Playlists when the sidebar is hidden, like in your screenshots. If the Audiobooks show there, select one, choose 'Get Info' from the File menu at the top of the screen, and then take a screenshot of the Summary area to show us—there could be a clue there. Check the Media Kind setting in the Options area as well, just in case it's been changed somehow to anything other than 'Audiobook'.

Also, we'd like to know if you have a particular iTunes Preference set. To find this, choose 'Preferences' from the iTunes menu and then go into the Advanced section of the Preferences. Do you have a check in the box beside where it says 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library'? If so, just be aware that we've seen in tests using that setting where iTunes can get confused and refuses to actually add/copy something that has the same name as an item that already exists in the library.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:42 pm 

Hi Allan. The files aren't in the Audiobook Builder Playlist either :(

I do have that iTunes preference set.

What is stranger still is that I had the sudden idea to try to rebuild the files (as in the final stage of the process) and they are now appearing in iTunes Audiobooks!!!

Very strange indeed!