Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:23 pm 

I'm a fairly new user, about 3 months, and have some suggestions as to how the "split" transaction entry, in my opinion, could be made easier and quicker since I do a lot of splits. I'll list the entry process to describe what I'm thinking about.

1. When initially starting the transaction entry from the ledger page the user enters the To/From party and the total transaction amount in the Debit/Credit dialog.

2. The "split" button is then clicked and the split entry window opens. At that time the first split line is automatically activated, since one wouldn't be in the "split" dialog unless they wanted to make entries. The To/From field is filled from the initial window as well as the amount field filled with the total from the initial window. That way the "+" button does not need to be clicked and the From/To field is filled as normally the split is from one invoice, i.e., from/to one business.

3. All that is needed to finish the first line of the split is the description, category and to enter the total for the first line item at which time the difference between the initial total and the amount entered for the first line of the split is then automatically entered in the amount field of the second split line. The From/To field on line 2 is also automatically filled with the same contents as the first for the same reasoning as before.

4. This process is continued for each line until the total of the amounts on each line equals the total for the transaction as entered initially in the Debit/Credit dialog and the amount field on the next line is blank at which point the split amounts can be considered complete. If the user thinks the entries are complete, but there is still an amount in the amount field of the next line then the user knows that there has been an error somewhere in his entries and thus it serves as a handy check on his work.

I hope this is clear and makes sense. I look forward to everyone's comments.

Cliff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:14 am 

I agree. It is particularly aggravating when I "Split" after I have entered the total.
Instead of the total amount showing at the bottom, the amount shown is now $0.00. Often in doing a split I have several items of one category and several of another and I have to compile these sums on a calculator (or make an absurdly long split); if this was more like a spreadsheet I could sum each category in the cell entry line.
If I haven't made a note of the split total I may end up with a total that contradicts and overrides the correct amount entered at the beginning. (I initially enter based on my checkbook / debit record, but split later looking at receipts.)
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:44 pm 

Yes, please, I agree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:45 pm 

I agree as well! There's a lot of good stuff in CheckBook Pro, but there does seem to be an awful lot of redundant clicks sprinkled throughout the UI.

Along the same lines, I'm still looking for any cheat sheets for keyboard commands. They are sprinkled throughout the manual (still working through it) but it would be nice to have a handy reference sheet too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:50 pm 

I think when entering a new debit/deposit, the ledger should automatically open to Split.
If only one entry is made, then return/enter should close the entry: done.

Tabbing thru the different fields if there is more than one split is fine.
After selecting a category with the cursor arrow, tab should select that category and move on to the amount. No click needed.

Return/enter should close the debit/deposit ledger.

The current method is a bit clumsy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:30 pm 

I like Metropicals idea! If doable, of course......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:41 am 

CBP would be more user-friendly if, when entering a split transaction, the user could easily elect to have some amount of the transaction not attributed to a category. This is a frequent happening for me when paying my credit card bill.

My workaround is to create a new split category called "non-attributed amount," which serves as a placeholder for the parts of the transaction which I'm not otherwise assigning to a category. Because CBP automatically reads the transaction total as the split total, I then have to manually subtract the total split amount from the total transaction amount, to arrive at the "non-attributed amount" total. This step is clumsy, and should be unnecessary when working on a computer.

Having CBP make this subtraction automatically as the categorized split amounts are entered would not be rocket science, and would significantly improve the user experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:59 pm 

Agree with the need to have the total for the debit or credit displayed in the split so that when split entries are made the split balances with the total entry.

Splits are unnecessarily cumbersome in their current form.