Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:05 pm 

Starting this week, I have to manually sync my two home computers each time I use checkbook pro on either computer. How do I restore dropbox auto sync? Manual sync works instantly but requires both computer to open checkbook and select File : Sync. Our computers have auto synched for years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:25 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So long as both copies of CheckBook are continually accessing the same file in Dropbox, changes will sync automatically (provided Dropbox is working properly). You might open the application on both Macs, go up to click the File menu at the top of the screen, and select the Show in Finder menu option, to confirm the documents' save locations. If you're taken to a document that's not in your Dropbox folder on either Mac, you'll want to go back and use the Open option under the same File menu to reopen the Dropbox file accessed previously.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:09 pm 

Thank you, Allan,

I checked, and both computers are accessing the same file in the same dropbox location. That is probably why when I manually sync, it works immediately.

I will appreciate any other suggestions. Was there a recent version update, because I let my computers automatically install certain updates in the background without telling me? Both computers are using ver 2.7 although one computer is using Big Sur and the other is using Mojave. But that is not a change on my part.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Dropbox handles the syncing automatically after it recognizes a local file has been changed. There's been no real change to how 2.7 is saving data, so it's possible this is going to come down to an issue with Dropbox recognizing changes have been made to a CheckBook document (or other file packages like it). What you might try is signing-out and back in to your Dropbox account on both Macs, to see if that helps.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:05 pm 

Thank you. I appreciate your checking.

I finally found the problem. Dropbox has recently added ability to synchronize external drives, and it was busy on one of my computers uploading a couple of huge backup drives (without ever asking me). So dropbox was too busy to synchronize just a lonely data file. I tried to stop the uploads but was singularly unsuccessful, and I finally had to reboot that Mac, only to find out that one of the drives had been fully uploaded already.

At any rate, my problem is now solved. Individual data files are automatically synched, again.