Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:42 pm 

Hello there,

I'm using CBP 2 (v. 2.6.16) on an iMac. For the past several years, I've had two accounts at a local credit union. Other than my occasional carping about how CHP handles splits, I'm pleased with the application.

Recently, the credit union demonstrated a less-than-admirable response to a data breach. This behavior was unacceptable to me, and I resolved to take my business elsewhere. I thus opened accounts at a different (larger, and clearly more well-managed) credit union. I'm in the process of moving all the electronic connections from the old credit union to the new credit union.

In the old credit union accounts, I'd created a set of categories with which I'm familiar and facile. Rather than creating each category anew for the new credit union's accounts, I'd like to import the categories from the old credit union accounts, and continue using what I'm used to and what works for me.

I don't see an easy way to do this. The only work-around I can imagine is exporting the transactions and categories from the old accounts, importing those files into the new credit union accounts, and then deleting (in the new credit union accounts) all the imported transactions, leaving the old credit union categories in place.

Would this work? Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help.

-David Brick
Santa Cruz CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

CheckBook Pro uses a Categories list that's shared across all accounts that exist inside the same document. So, as long you go up to click the Account menu at the top of the screen and use the New Account menu option to add your new account(s) to your existing Accounts document, you'll have access to the same Categories list. If you already setup an all new Accounts document, then exporting and importing would certainly be an option, though it may be easier to simply create a temporary account inside your new document using the steps covered above, copy/paste all entries from the old document, and then delete this temp account.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:04 am 

Thanks, Allan. That's helpful and I appreciate your assistance.