Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How to Auto Backup
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:23 am 

I've run a search on the forum and it suggests the system can auto backup via Preferences. I can't seem to find that option.

I use Time Machine to back up to an external hard drive but also like to do a cloud back up via Dropbox. I'm also using an app to auto back up to Dropbox and have set that to copy the CBP folder each night. When I compare the files in the Dropbox destination to those where I save the CBP using a backup command in the program I can't see the name of my accounts in the Dropbox.

Presumably the data is held within the folder somewhere but it would be great if I could use the scheduled backup within CBP itself.

All of my queries have been successfully answered so far, here's hoping for this one and the next :lol:

Post subject: Re: How to Auto Backup
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:38 am 
Administrator
Administrator

In past versions, there was an Advanced section of the Preferences used for viewing the current location of an Accounts file, changing that location, or for restoring with a Backup, so this may be what you came across in your forum searches. All of those options have been incorporated elsewhere so the Advanced Preferences area has been removed but none of the options dealt with the automatic Backup system—all versions backup automatically about once a week to a specific location that can't be set by the user due to some security constraints. If you ever need to locate the automatic Backups, we'll just need to know the application version and operating system version that's installed there.

Also, there shouldn't be any reason why Accounts file names wouldn't be visible inside Dropbox. If you're looking at files on the Dropbox website, it's important to note that document files are actually file packages and Dropbox may display file packages as normal folders, so Backups will look like folders but the folder name will be the Backup name set. The best way to view files properly that are in Dropbox is to have the Dropbox app installed and to access the local Dropbox folder that will show on your Mac. And, actually, the best thing for backing-up using Dropbox is to have the main document file you work from in Dropbox because various versions are automatically maintained by Dropbox throughout different syncs that can be restored with anytime, saving you from creating manual Backups to Dropbox.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:26 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I quite understand, but basically I copy over the whole CBP folder to Dropbox. Presumably that has everything in it, so if I needed to restore I'd just bring that whole folder back and be good to go.

The auto backup you mention stays on the local machine I assume?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There's an Accounts document file that you work inside each time you use CheckBook and that's really all that needs to be added to Dropbox. If that file is definitely in a particular folder, then moving the entire folder works fine. The best way to ensure you're moving your main file, though, is to choose 'Move To...' from the File menu at the top of the screen when the file's open in the application.

Also, yes, the automatic Backups are saved to the local machine.

http://www.splasm.com