Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Nervous Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:34 am 

I've been using Microsoft Money for many years and cannot understand why it no longer exists. I am also about to be enlightened and join the Mac family so need something to replace MM. I've tried a couple but to no avail, and have found this offering.

My needs are pretty simple although my bank accounts are not. I don't need graphs or budget help or reports to tell me how much I'm spending on groceries etc etc.

I need to be able to run 3 or 4 checking accounts, with transfers between them on a very regular basis. Lots of monthly recurring bills and a few deposits each month (wish it was the other way around :lol: ).

I need to be able to reconcile them all the various bank statements on a monthly basis (can you believe the last program I tried only allowed you to balance the first month, it didn't bring forward the second months opening balance :x ).

I think I can bring my data in from Money, although to be honest the really historical information isn't needed, but I would like to know, before I spend a load of time setting everything up, does CheckBook Pro offer these basic and IMHO fundamental facilities?

Can I reconcile month by month ongoing, do transfers from one to another create entries in both accounts, does it have a payment calender that can support 30 regular payments?

I really hope so, the Mac purchase may be riding on this :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It sounds like CheckBook Pro would be a good fit for you since the application does offer options for Reconciling every month, the ability to create transfer Entries, and a payment calendar in the form of the scheduling features, which provide support for an unlimited number of recurring Entries to be setup. Also, Microsoft Money data can be imported into CheckBook Pro that's been exported from Money to the QIF transfer format—during the QIF export, or after importing, you could easily remove any very old information you don't want to deal with anymore.

Once you get your Mac, perhaps you'll want to give the free trial a shot, so you can see for yourself what all CheckBook Pro's capable of. Here's where to go to download the trial anytime: http://www.splasm.com/checkbookpro/index.html

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:59 pm 

Thanks Allan, that's very encouraging. I'm sure to be back here soon!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:01 am 

Nervous Newbie--
Although I just saw this (old) post, I want to put in a plug for CB. I was in your boat too as a faithful Money user, and had to slog through a few replacement options when Money went away. I can say that CB is the closest thing I've found and absolutely meets all of my needs with 95% of the ease of MM. I too have dozens of recurring transactions, about 6 recurring deposits per month, and the (obsessive) need to reconcile accounts frequently (I typically do mine weekly in order to keep up).
I hope by now you've given CB a chance and loved it, so this is more for any other nervous noobs who need a little encouragement from a user who had the same fears initially!