Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:29 pm 

Upon launching CBPro to make entries, I get an error message: The document "Checkbook 2" can't be opened because it can't be found." I click "OK" to dismiss that message.

A new window appears, "Create New Accounts Document", "Open Accounts Document", and "Help" are the options.

If I try to Open Accounts Document, the target document appears muted gray and inactive to clicking.

If I try to Create New Accounts Document, the window disappears, and there's no further action.

How can I restore my CBPro to it's fine working condition on my iMac 10.5.8 Intel?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We can surely help with restoring your CheckBook Pro data, but we'll want to gather some additional information to determine what might've happened there to make your Accounts file inaccessible and how best to proceed. Rest assured that the application saves Backups about once a week, so there are definitely options.

Anyway, can you send the following in an email to us at support@splasm.com?

1. A System Information report. This report tells us how your Mac is configured. You can create one of these reports by clicking the Finder icon in your Dock, going to the Go menu at the top of your screen, clicking the Utilities menu item, opening System Information.app, then going to the File menu and clicking the Save... menu item.

2. Your recent system.log files. These files contain routine status messages from apps, but they also contain any error messages these apps may have logged, in addition to any error messages the Mac itself may have logged. We need to see these to get an accurate picture of whether some major issue occurred and, if so, to explain why. You can find these by clicking the Finder icon in your Dock, going to the Go menu at the top of your screen, clicking the Go to Folder... menu item, pasting "/var/log” (without the quotes) into the Go-to-folder field, and hitting Go. Send every file in that log folder whose name begins with the word "system”.

Thanks for working with us on this! Once we receive your email, we should be able to get right back to you with a plan.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:51 pm 

I found that my backup file name (on my flash drive) was corrupted. I corrected the backup file name, and was able to open CBPro, use it and balance my statement, and save my data.

Now on second attempt to open CBPro, I get this error message:

CheckBook Pro 2.5.6 Build 3
Unable to copy file.
Source: /Volumes/USBCHCKNG/Accounts.cbaccounts/Accounts.db
Destination: /var/folders/XK/XKwGX6iBFsCYbpu75-k7+k+++TI/-Tmp-/F42617B3-BEE8-460F-8A20-7C3E0A2F9590-186-0000003D1DB3FB0D
(Source failed checksum)

How to proceed with this nagging problem?

Thank you.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

That errors means CheckBook Pro is attempting to access your data but bailing-out because the temporary copy of your database that's being read from is getting affected by something outside of the application's control. This reading from a temp copy of the database affords the option of bailing-out as a safeguard for preventing damage to your actual Accounts document's internal database. Could you email fresh system logs to us so we can look at everything going on behind-the-scenes as the issue occurred? The instructions for doing that are in step 2 of my previous post above.

Also, this issue and the file name corruption that occurred makes us question the stability of the flash drive that the data's saved to. So, it might be wise to move your CheckBook Pro Accounts document file off of the drive and onto your Mac's internal hard-drive.

http://www.splasm.com