Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: To/From List
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:40 pm 

Is there a way to remove a To/From entry from the autocomplete list? I have someone named "Carl" that I made a payment to, but will probably never make another. Now, every time I type in "Ca", it brings up "Carl" first. Is there a way to edit the remembered To/From list so that it stops bringing him up first? I know Quicken had that option, but I can't find it anywhere in CheckBook. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: To/From List
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:35 am 

pdillin wrote:
Is there a way to remove a To/From entry from the autocomplete list? I have someone named "Carl" that I made a payment to, but will probably never make another. Now, every time I type in "Ca", it brings up "Carl" first. Is there a way to edit the remembered To/From list so that it stops bringing him up first? I know Quicken had that option, but I can't find it anywhere in CheckBook. Thanks!

Accounts > Edit Account. From/To list is there to edit

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

By default, the To/From list is actually an automatically maintained list that rotates through the last 50 used items so, with that setting, an old item will only get removed after 50 new ones are used. There is the option to switch over to a manually-maintained list under the Account options that t3rockhall is pointing you to, though. For that, you'll be able to use the swooping arrow button to get the existing list added to the list view there and then anything you select can be easily deleted using the slashed-circle button.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:35 am 

I have the same issue and I am a bit confused by how to implement this solution. For example, I used to have an employee, "John Jones". He no longer works at the company and now I have an employee named "John Smith".

I want to remove John Jones from the database of AutoComplete names entirely. That way, I can enter John Smith's name faster and don't accidentally log a payment to John Smith as having gone to John Jones.

If I go to Account > Edit Account > To/From and select the radio button for "The Following To/From Items:", I am able to see a list that includes "John Jones" and remove him. That functionality works.

However, my assumption is that I am now stuck with that list and that the list does not continue to learn new entries that I will add over time. That solves my John Jones problem, but doesn't adapt to new entries from To/From unless I add each one individually through this same Account > Edit Account > To/From pane. that would be a painstaking process.

Unfortunately, after removing John Jones via the method above, I can't go back and re-select the radio button for "The Last {50} Entered To/From Items" because that brings back John Jones.

How does one remove an entry permanently without crippling the functionality of having CheckBook Pro AutoComplete from a list that still learns new entries automatically?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:59 am 
Administrator
Administrator

In the current system, there isn't a way to single out a particular Entry's To/From or Description from consideration because CheckBook dynamically looks for your recent Entries and generates the To/Froms and Descriptions lists as needed. To have it learn from recent Entries and allow for a particular To/From or Description to be eliminated would require maintaining separate lists of To/Froms and Descriptions, automatically added to when new Entries are created instead of generated on the fly, so that you could manage those lists when necessary. That's something we can think on, but, for now, the only way for CheckBook to eliminate a particular To/From or Description and keep presenting recent To/Froms and Descriptions is to create more Entries until the Entry you no longer want in consideration is beyond the setting you've selected in the Account options. In your example, it would drop out of consideration when it's 50 Entries in the past.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:08 pm 

OK, I understand. Thank you for your response and consideration.

I'll hope for it as a feature in a future release and - in the meantime - try to be more vigilant that I don't mistakenly AutoComplete with the wrong name.

I suppose that this issue, in relation to my workflow, is related to another issue I have with AutoComplete that I had inquired about previously. I believe in much earlier versions, the AutoComplete feature was based on recency rather than alphabetical order.

For instance, say I have an employee John Smith and a former employee John Jones (and have not added 50 new payees such that John Jones has rolled off my AutoComplete list).

Each time I type in "John", John Jones will pop up first because he is first alphabetically, even though I have only entered in John Smith for the past several months. I believe in an early version of Checkbook Pro, the default was for AutoComplete to choose the most recent matching entry rather than the first alphabetically. I'm not sure what works best for others, but if users could toggle this as a preference, that would certainly be helpful for me.

Thank you for your consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We can certainly look at providing the feature in a future version. There actually was fairly recent switch to ordering items in the To/From items list alphabetically. The idea to go back to sorting chronologically or to provide a preference for toggling between chronological and alphabetical sorting for the list is a good one, so those are options we can look into as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 am 

I'm wondering if this has been made an option, to remove a To/From entry from the autocomplete list? It would make things much faster and cleaner. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The option hasn't been added yet, but it's something we'll continue to consider as we plan future updates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:57 pm 

Gosh it's been under consideration for 7 years. This cannot be that difficult, can it? :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It's just not a heavily requested feature, unfortunately. We maintain a feature request list that doesn't every seem to dip below a hundred items long, and we try to plan updates based on the number of requests any particular feature has gotten. As it stands, only a handful of people have asked for this.

Most users who don't want to see old items in the To/From items list will lower the number of To/From items used to construct the list. If you didn't already try that, go up to click the Account menu, select the Edit Account menu option, and then click the To/From button, to check it out. Switching from the default 50 to 25 may very well do the trick.