Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Find, copy and paste
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:58 pm 

I used to do my checkbook in Filemaker and got used to using Command-F to find a particular entry quickly.

I would then Copy a recurring (or similar) check, or more likely an ATM withdrawal and then paste it in as a new entry, changing the date and amount as necessary.

I know I CAN find an item by sorting on the payee or the amount, but it seems awkward, as every Mac app ever written uses command-f. I DO see the command in the edit menu, but it's grayed out. There doesn't seem to be any way to copy and paste though.

What I really need is a command to find a stupid entry I've made so I can reconcile my checkbook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The Filter field at the top of the CheckBook window should allow you to find Entries fairly easily, and works very much like the same feature in iTunes. By default, it's set to search every Entry's Description, Type, To/From, Splits and Notes, so if you had an Entry with a To/From or Description containing Corner Store Grocery and typed in "cor" you would at least see every Entry made to Corner Store Grocery. Is this something you've tried but found it's not working correctly?

Most of the items under CheckBook's Edit menu are there more to adhere to classic interface design dogma than actual usefulness. They should only activate when editing text, but not in CheckBook's tables.

Your FileMaker workflow, where you would go through a standard "find" process to locate a similar Entry, copy and paste it to duplicate it, then change its date and amount to suit, seems roughly on par with creating a new Entry in CheckBook, entering the Date and Amount, selecting the Type as necessary and letting CheckBook's AutoComplete handle your needs in the To/From and Description fields. If you enable Full Keyboard Access in the Keyboard Shortcuts section of the Keyboard & Mouse preference panel in System Preferences, CheckBook has the keyboard navigation shortcuts to let you do all of that without touching the mouse.

Please let us know if we can help you further with CheckBook's Filter/Search functionality. We'll be glad to help out.

https://www.splasm.com