Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:42 pm 

Bought my wife a new Macbook Pro for Christmas. Migrating from her old Macbook went very smoothly ... until Checkbook.

The machine is running Mavericks with all updates applied, and CheckBook was purchased via the App Store.

Since I could not find any explicit information on migrating I figured I'd use iCloud to migrate the data. Made sure data & document sharing was enabled in iCloud in both machines, pushed a file back and forth via textedit. Opened Checkbookon the old computer, File->Move to ... iCloud. Closed Checkbook on the old computer, opened it on the new computer, and attempted to open the file from iCloud.

CheckBook read the file (I could see the entries in the register display, but hung. I force quit the program after an hour of watching the SBBOD.

Hmm, maybe it's an iCloud thing. Tried sharing via Dropbox. Same result -- was able to open the file on the new computer but CheckBook hung indefinitely.

OK, perhaps I can use a backup file to move the data from one computer to the other. File->backup results in the following helpful display:

Checkbook encountered the following error(s): CheckBook 2.5.4

Just to complete the trifecta I figured I would try to export the file, move the exported data to the new machine, and import it. No go. Neither File->Export->QIF... nor File->Export->Text... did anything visible -- no dialog boxes, no output files that I could locate. Nothing.

User error? Bugs?

I'm very frustrated at this point because this is the only thing standing in the way of decommissioning her old machine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Holiday greetings!

I appreciate the frustration on your end. There's an issue with CheckBook 2.5.4 that prevents documents from being opened in the open dialog on Macs with iCloud enabled. The fix is coming soon. In the meantime, you can open documents by double-clicking them in the Finder, or by dragging them to the CheckBook icon in your Dock. We're intrigued by the way attempting to export to QIF and Text didn't work out, because we're not tracking any issues at all with exporting and it's still working well in our tests. That's not the most important thing right now, though, because you need your data to show up on the new MacBook Pro. For now, here's how to locate and open a file that's in iCloud:

1. Click the Finder icon in your Dock.

2. Go to the Go menu at the top of your screen, while holding down the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Library menu item.

3. From the Library folder, navigate to the Mobile Documents/KQZ94N9248~com~splasm~checkbook/Documents folder. You'll see each document you've stored in iCloud.

4. Double-click the document you'd like to open and it should appear in CheckBook.

How does that work? Let us know if you need any additional details and we'll keep at it until you're up and running!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:30 am 

Thanks for the response, Keith, that worked.

I also verified that export and backup work on the new machine. I have suspected for a while that Colleen's account on her old machine was corrupted; for example, there were certain operations she could not perform in system preferences despite being an admin and having authenticated. It's likely that the other problems were somehow related to the underlying issue with her old account.

Thanks again, and have a great New Year.

Stu