Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm 

Hello,

Does anyone know a way to share read and write access to the CheckBook accounts database between two separate Admin user accounts under Leopard?

I tried putting the "CheckBook" folder on the root level of my hard drive, then changing the permissions for both the Owner (Me) and Admin (Group) to read and write.

Then, in both user accounts, I created a symbolic link in ~/Library/ named "CheckBook" and pointed it to the new location of the accounts database.

The results of this were that one user account could read and write data to the database file, but the files permissions would instantly be changed back to Owner (Me) read and write, Admin (Group) read only.

This method has worked when sharing both my iTunes and iPhoto Libraries.

The reason why I am interested in a solution for this is that my wife and I both share a single user account on one system. We have finally come to a point that we both would benefit from having our own user accounts, but we need to each have access to some shared resources.

Ultimately, I would like to accomplish this without the use of yet a third, shared account.

Thanks in advance for any tricks you may have!

Jayson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:41 am 

Bump...

I too need help in this area. I have purchased a family license for Checkbook Pro and want to set it up so that my wife and my son can share the same data file while logged into their respective OS X accounts (at different times).

I realize they can't both work on the same data at the same time.

My hope was that I could put the data files into a shared folder with appropriate sharing and permissions and then place aliases within each user's Library folder. This doesn't seem to work.

Please tell me how...

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You can share the data but it can't be done using aliases at this time. The symbolic link method works with soft links. I just tested again to be sure and permissions remained as originally set. I'm not sure how that wasn't working properly in Jayson's case but I'm guessing he's on Mac OS X 10.5.x and assigned another user account read/write access. The additional user permissions will get blown out on a save because CheckBook recreates the file during the save. In our tests we used group permissions instead.

It requires tinkering at the command-line so we won't provide official support for it - but we can still discuss it ;). After copying the CheckBook 2 folder to /Users/Shared/ and setting group read/write permissions on it the only command-line work I do is the following:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support
mv CheckBook\ 2 CheckBook\ 2.old
ln -s /Users/Shared/CheckBook\ 2 CheckBook\ 2

It's also true that multiple users cannot access the same data file at the same time without risking data loss. If you share the data file develop a strong habit of making sure no one else in any other user account has CheckBook running at the same time.

At some point we can phase in some changes to make this easier. The first change would be resolving aliases instead of relying on a file path and preserving permissions when the Accounts file is saved. After that we could look at implementing some IPC to make sure one copy of CheckBook doesn't open the data file when another is already running with the same data file open.

https://www.splasm.com