Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Split entries
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:03 am 

I have imported data from Quicken 2004 and have the following problems with split entries:

1. Some splits are labeled split when imported and I can view the split if I choose the entry and choose the split tab. However, the amount is not split among the categories when viewing the entry. Let me illustrate - the entry will be for 150.00 and if I view the split it will show 100.00 in category A and 50.00 in category B. However, only category A is listed in the entry and the summary and it shows the entire 150.00 in that category. How do I get the correct amounts into each category?

2. Some splits are not labeled as splits and do not show anything when viewed as splits; for example, a deposit of a pay check only shows the net amount of the deposit, not the gross with all of the various deductions. How would I get those entries to show correctly?

Using OS X 10.5.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Wayne:

CheckBook does not handle Splits, in either case, in the way you're expecting.

When CheckBook imports each Split transaction it creates a new CheckBook Entry and assigns the category attached to the incoming transaction as the new Entry's Type. The Split line items are then attached to the new Entry and their total is assigned as the new Entry's Amount.

CheckBook's Account Summary does not represent the contents of a Split Entry, meaning the Split line items are not included in any totals by Type, Description or To/From.

CheckBook was not designed to handle Deposit Split transactions with negative line items, or Debit Split transactions with positive line items. As CheckBook imports each Split transaction, it determines whether it is dealing with a transaction with mixed positive/negative line items and, if so, it continues to import the transaction but without the Split line items.

We intend to expand CheckBook's Split Entry support to include equal representation in the Account Summary along with the ability to handle incoming Split transactions that contain line items with both positive and negative Amounts. The example you gave of a user needing to track paycheck deductions is a perfect explanation of why the latter is necessary.

Thank you for your feedback, Wayne!

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:51 pm 

Thank you for the information. I am just getting familiar with Checkbook and imported some test data when I found the split problem. I'm sorry I did not spend the time looking at all of the topics here in the forum because I did find previous questions about splits that provided the answers. The topic subjects were not specific enough that I could identify them; thus, I had to read the topics.

The product is very good and I'm looking forward to using it on a regular basis. I am generating a possible work around for the split problem and I expect to be able to use Checkbook exclusively in the near future.

Using OS X 10.5.1