Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:58 am 

I tried checkbook out near the beginning of this month and liked it. Until yesterday, I tracked all my transaction by saving receipts and notes on scraps of paper. Then I entered that information. Soon enough I was prompted for registration, so I paid and registered. I entered more data. I saved it.

Two things occurred.

1. The file in application support never updated.
2. The backup file on an external drive did update with the save, but it saved no data after the registration.

The only thing unusual in my process was that I had moved it from one Mac to another. But it was saving data ok after the move. I followed the process here: http://www.splasm.com/checkbook/support.html#10. After doing this I saved a backup to the external drive.

--------

So I started testing it.

1. I entered a single test transaction. Hit command + S and quit the app.
2. I opened the application. The transaction was not there.
3. I checked both .plist files (in application support and external drive) neither updated. I opened both in an editor and searched for my test transaction string. Nada

- Next I will reinstall after backing up the remaining data. No time right now.

I had been enjoying this application. :(

-c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It sounds like CheckBook is not mixing well with something specific to your situation there, preventing it from writing to its Accounts.plist file. You mentioned the file in Application Support is not updating but the Accounts.plist shouldn't be there - it should be at /Users/[your username here]/Library/CheckBook/Accounts.plist, one folder up from Application Support. That's likely just a misstatement on your part. Even so, it's only relevant if you're waiting for a file modification date to change in the Finder and you're watching something in Application Support. If data entered in one session doesn't show up in CheckBook after a relaunch then the issue as you described it is still very real.

We should do three things to get started:

1. Would you duplicate the issue, then send us your console.log file so we can look for any OS-level error messages? The easiest way to obtain a copy of the console.log file is to launch /Applications/Utilities/Console.app, then use the File menu's Save a Copy As... menu item to save a copy of the file to a place where you can find it. You can then attach the copy to an email to us at support@splasm.com.

2. Can you look at the permissions for the /Users/[your username here]/Library/CheckBook/Accounts.plist file to see if you're allowed to write to it? You can get a look at permissions by highlighting the file in the Finder and selecting Get Info from the File menu.

3. Would you send us a System Profiler report so we can see some basic details about your Mac? To create a System Profiler report launch /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler.app and use the File menu's Save menu item to save a copy of the report to a place where you can find it. You can attach the report to your email for request #1.

Thanks for gathering these details for us. With that data in-hand we'll analyze everything and work on a resolution for you.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject: resolved
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:41 pm 

Sorry that I misreported the location of .plist -- it was in the library. A reinstall fixed this. I copied over only the .plist file and not the preferences. Now it saves. I will see about getting you the other information if it helps you determine whether this was a general issue or some anomaly related to my process and setup.