Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36 am 

Is there a way to keep closed account info, but not have it show in you accounts list/net worth balance. You can do this in Quicken for Mac, but I can't seem to find a way to do it in Checkbook. I like to keep such info for a year or so for reference, but I don't want the closed account balance to show in my net worth. Any suggestions? Thanks. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:04 pm 

I put a separate password on any account I don't want added into the totals..
S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Sue covered the best suggestion so far. You can assign a password to the account you wish to lock out of the totals. You can do this by editing the account and inputing an optional password. This will lock the account and not display the total in the accounts drawer.

Another option would be to put in one last entry into that old account which would zero out the balance. One last suggestion would be to export the account to a QIF file and then delete the account. This would be less helpful because you would have to re-import that account to access the data.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:22 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. At first I tried using the password method and my total didn't change. Then, today after receiving this same suggestion again, I thought - maybe the net worth total doesn't change until I close down Checkbook - which is what happened. So, I assigned a password, closed Checkbook, and then re-opened it, and sure enough the Net Worth total did not reflect the closed account total. Thanks!

Brenda in Atlanta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:51 pm 

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I've read this "lock the account" thing a few times now. What I would really like to see is a way to hide something from the account drawer (in fact, I think the account drawer could probably use another look-see in design because it find it very limiting right now). I also have a bunch of historical accounts that I would like to keep, but I don't want them showing up in the accounts window. I don't care about the total because they all have a final balance of $0.00 but I have about a dozen old accounts that I want/need to keep the data for, but don't want to look at every day.

Can an optional "hide/show" thing be added to accounts so that these accounts can be hidden from the view? Maybe a preference page that lists the accounts with a "hide?" checkbox to get rid of them?

I bought CheckBook Pro about a year ago and it didn't really do what I wanted then, but now that I've moved my QB from a winxp vm to a win7 vm, all I have left in xp is quicken and I can't really justify buying a new version just to ensure it runs flawlessly on win7. I'm also not a big fan of anything intuit on the mac, so I've exported everything in quicken and imported it into CBP. Now I have what I need (and will have to see how the bank importing works tomorrow), but I really want to not see those hidden accounts.

Is it possible to have two CBP data files maybe? If that's possible, then maybe I can QIF export/import between the two datasets and have one as the "closed accounts" dataset.

Also, while I'm mentioning issues... being able to create top-level folders in the account window would be completely useful as well. Something so I could have a folder for business accounts, one for personal accounts, one for credit cards, one for assets, etc. Then I can put my accounts under those top-level folders and expand/unexpand them all I like (great way to also hide closed accounts I'm thinking). Right now everything sits at the top level, which makes it all cluttered. And there are no smart folder settings for folder names/types? The smart folders just show transactions (so I could see everything I've ever bought on credit from Future Shop or something?)

I'm not sure I understand the usefulness of being able to create a folder _under_ an account.

I'm quite wanting to make this work and these are quirky things that distract/annoy, but I think they could make for some very simple yet aesthetically powerful options that I'm sure others would likewise appreciate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:26 pm 

vdanen wrote:
Also, while I'm mentioning issues... being able to create top-level folders in the account window would be completely useful as well. Something so I could have a folder for business accounts, one for personal accounts, one for credit cards, one for assets, etc. Then I can put my accounts under those top-level folders and expand/unexpand them all I like (great way to also hide closed accounts I'm thinking). Right now everything sits at the top level, which makes it all cluttered. And there are no smart folder settings for folder names/types? The smart folders just show transactions (so I could see everything I've ever bought on credit from Future Shop or something?)

Hello,

Yes, it is exactly what I'm also looking for... I've already posted a comment some time ago about that...
Regards,

Geoffroy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:59 pm 

vdanen wrote:
And there are no smart folder settings for folder names/types?

Why not?

Attachments:
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png [ 33.71 KiB | Viewed 18271 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:09 pm 

t3rockhall wrote:
vdanen wrote:
And there are no smart folder settings for folder names/types?

Why not?

From what I played with, that will contain all the _items_ in folders that match that criteria. I don't want to have a mashed-up view of transactions, I want a triangle that expands and has folders inside it that I can click on to have transactions displayed for just _that_ sub-folder.

At any rate, I've been looking at MoneyDance (didn't want to, not a big fan of java apps), but I'm thinking MoneyDance may be what I end up using. It's allowing me to do the things that I want to do (that I noted earlier), and the new version is supposed to have some compelling features, although I've not checked it out yet.

We'll see, but being able to hide "inactive" accounts in MoneyDance has almost convinced me already.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:27 pm 

When setting up the new smart folder, you can click the PLUS sign at the right of the criteria and add as many additional criteria as you want, apparently down to the smallest detail. What am I missing here?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:45 pm 

t3rockhall wrote:
When setting up the new smart folder, you can click the PLUS sign at the right of the criteria and add as many additional criteria as you want, apparently down to the smallest detail. What am I missing here?

The fact that smart folders contain _transactions_ not nested folders (which is what I want.. I wanted nested folders to keep the side panel "tidy". Of course, the ideal falls pretty flat on it's face without the ability to hide folders. =)

Yeah, I can create all kinds of smart folders to smartly show me transactions, but I can't seem to make any that just contain sub-folders -- i.e. using the "smart" criteria to display distinct and separate sub-_folders_, and not transactions.

Hope that makes a bit more sense.