Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Printing Checks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:01 am 

Are there any plans to incorporate a check printing function into CheckBook? I for one would find that feature extremely useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:42 am 

I have a few issues with check printing on ANY PC, with ANY softare:

•Security: Ink jet output can be easily modified after printing. Laser output is only slightly more secure.

•Systems: There is no way to print MICR on the bottom of the checks, from either laser or inkjet printers. Possibly, some laser printers might be available with MICR toner, but they are few and far between. Without MICR, you could have flat-out rejection of the checks or, if processed manualy, a definite slowing down of the processing time.

It could be done safely if you purchased custom-printed check paper, with your bank's and your account numbers printed with MICR ink, on security paper, but that would add an additional, and possibly considerable expense (Otherwise, you would also have to have a MICR font on your computer, and know exactly what size would be needed on your output in addition to the special magnetic ink toner). SO, you'd only be replacing your bank-supplied checks with your own custom checks.

I vote no to this suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:04 am 

I don't consider security a concern. If someone is going to alter a check they will do it regardless of if it was printed or handwritten.

There are several finance programs available that have check printing capability built in. It's a useful, time saving feature that a lot of people rely on and benefit from. If you have a concern about the security of printing checks just don't use CheckBook to print them.

In my opinion the ability to print checks is the ONLY thing missing from CheckBook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:19 am 

No, my main concern is just how you intend to get magnetic ink onto the checks. If you purchase custom blank checks on perforated U.S. letter or A4 paper stock to run through your printer, then there is no problem -- only an expense, and then you are only replacing one preprinted check with another. BUT, If you plan to print the entire check on plain paper, then I see other issues from a bank handling perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:12 pm 

OK, I think there is some miscommunication here. I don't want to print the entire check, only the information on the check (Pay To, $ Amount, Memo, Date). I don't know why anyone would want to print the entire check, I've never even considered that. Any bank can provide you with checks that work in a laser printer at a reasonable price. As a small business owner I find this the only way to go. I'm sure I'm not alone in this since my bank offers at least 10 different varities of checks that work in printers.

In CheckBook I'd like to be able to click 'Debit', fill in the information and click 'Print Check' which would automatically print the information onto a pre-printed check from my bank. I don't think this is a major thing, since as I mentioned before there are numerous financial progams available for OS X that offer this feature (iBank, Quicken, Quickbooks to name a few).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:24 pm 

Under those circumstances, it would be a useful option, then. Good luck in getting the splasm crew to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:50 pm 

t3rockhall wrote:
Under those circumstances, it would be a useful option, then. Good luck in getting the splasm crew to do it.

it is listed as a future thing- very future, I suspect. I vote for that feature. Otherwise, it is a nice program.]

Bea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:36 am 

karsen wrote:
OK, I think there is some miscommunication here. I don't want to print the entire check, only the information on the check (Pay To, $ Amount, Memo, Date). I don't know why anyone would want to print the entire check, I've never even considered that. (iBank, Quicken, Quickbooks to name a few).

I print my own checks because of cost. I could use the magnetic ink. The prefiiled cartridges cost about the same as regular cartridges. I prefer not to as more businesses are using optical scanners instead of magnetic readers. Banks included. I have been printing my own ( complete check ) for about 4 years and have never had one refused. Some do have to be manually input but that doesn't happen very often.

To the checkbok team keep up the great work.

TTFN Steve