Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

I just bought this program after hearing the great reviews. I've got to say, in terms of ease-of-use and functionality, it's amazing. The only caveat though is, unfortunately, the audio output is terrible.

When I build an audiobook I use a Mono bitrate, just to get that out of the way. If I use a 64Kbps bitrate / 44.1 sample rate, the audio sounds good. However, when I use a 32Kbps bitrate / 32 sample rate (highest available for bitrate), it sounds absolutely terrible.

When I convert an audiofile (e.g. a 128kbps mp3) to either AAC using iTunes or to m4b with a competing Audiobook program, the quality is far, far better. All are with a 32kbps mono bitrate and from the exact same clean source file, so it's a level playing field.

Albeit, none of the 32kbps versions are as good as the 64kbps versions, but with the other programs the 32kbps is acceptable, listen-able if you will. With Audiobook Builder it's terrible. Yes I can hear what is being said, but it sounds like the speaker is talking through a sponge.

What on earth was thrown into the 32kbps building recipe that doesn't belong there? If it's something to do with the sample rate for 32kbps being limited to 32, then why is that? Whatever it is, it makes it sound terrible. I appreciate your efforts, because this is a darn nice program, but this definitely needs to be looked into.

Lee

p.s. is there a way for the Title/Author to be automatically sourced from the files that are added to the Chapters section? 99% of the time, the data is in the files and is identical between files.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We'd love to have a look at your source file. If you'll email the audio file to us at support@splasm.com, we can test it here in order to figure how we can make Audiobook Builder better at handling that sort of thing.

Also, at this time, there's no way to have Audiobook Builder pull the Title or Author information from the audio files. We can look into adding that to a future release, though.

http://www.splasm.com