Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:23 am 

I just purchased Audiobook Builder yesterday and have already used it to combine several of my books that were formerly dozens of separate files. I love it...sure beats using Rejoiner to combine files and ChapterTool to designate chapters.

I do have two suggestions that I feel would greatly add to this program:

(1) Get rid of the 12-hour limitation or at least allow the user to circumvent the restriction. I have several Audiobooks that I'd love to condense into a single file (e.g. The DaVinci Code, The Harry Potter Series, The Dune Series, The Lord of the Rings Series, etc.). Is there an underlying reason for the 12-hour limitation?

(2) More flexibility in terms of Chapter placement. Unfortunately, many older Audiobook discs were created without any forethought to have separate tracks for each chapter. When importing these discs, the resulting tracks may be an hour or more in length and contain several chapters. It would be wonderful to have the freedom to place the chapter markers at any time index within the track. This probably wouldn't work well with your current method where tracks are treated as a subset of chapters. Most likely, this would need to be reversed and chapters would become a subset of tracks.

All in all, this is an awesome piece of software and a tremendous value. It has simplified a rather arduous process and for that, I thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:21 am 

johnnyboy wrote:
(1) Get rid of the 12-hour limitation or at least allow the user to circumvent the restriction. I have several Audiobooks that I'd love to condense into a single file. Is there an underlying reason for the 12-hour limitation?

Yes. you might want to read this topic; http://www.splasm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276
it is about the problems that can occur with long audiobooks.

another reason was that, when played on the iPod, the chapters will be difficult to destinct (because longer book swith many chapter will have many markers close to each other.)..

I know it is inconvenient, I have the same peoblem, but the dev is trying to figure out why the problems that sometimes occur occur, and fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:54 am 

There is also a hard technical limit to the length of any audio track, which is an underlying QuickTime limit to the number of audio samples which can (normally) be stored in a single file (about two billion).

You would normally hit this limit in the 13-14 hour range, using the default import settings for iTunes, i.e., 128 kbps / 44.1 kHz (only the 2nd number matters). So 12 hours is a good limit as a "rule of thumb", though if you use a lower sample rate, you can extend the length of a track. That's really a "for experts only" kind of thing, though, as it involves doing some math.

(The math is 596/<sample rate>. For my custom Audiobook Builder settings I'm importing at 32.0 kHz, which works out to about 18.5 hours. For the built-in Low Quality setting, it would be 22.050 kHz, or about 27 hours. But you're really pushing your luck with a track that long...)