Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 pm 

Just compiled an audiobook with ABB and it automatically saved into Apple Books, but did not give the option to save to the local file system. This is awkward because Apple Books does not make it easy to get books out once they are in. And ABB does not have an option to save the newly compiled audiobook into the file system. If I prefer to use a different audiobook player (not Apple Books) I need to access the compiled ABB file. But how?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:59 pm 

I agree completely. I just spent the morning working with my wife trying to restore all her audiobooks from various sources, public libraries, audible, web libraries, CDs, DVDs, ipods and of course AudioBookBuilder. That all had been archived on her lapop with iCloud backing, in forms that ABB would digest and output in Apple iTunes audiobook format big files (sometimes in multiple parts).

She had been using on a 2012 Macbook macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6. In that epoch iTunes kept audiobooks, podcasts and musics. Now she's working on a 2015 Macbook, with the newest macOS Monterey 12.2. Much faster by 6X to 10X.

We found the sets of mp3 files, the cover jpg, sometimes the ABB build file, and rebuilt some books. But where were the output files, the Apple format audiobook?

I'd like to have that file or set of files.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hello there!

When you first start using it, Audiobook Builder asks where you'd like to save your audiobooks just before each build and also adds them to Books when the build finishes, which creates a copy of the audiobook deep inside your home folder where you're not likely to find them - especially since they're placed in folders with gibber for names. So the audiobook ends up in two places: wherever you selected just before the build and in the aforementioned location deep within your home folder.

When you click the Build Audiobook button, are you asked where you'd like to save the audiobook before the build gets going? If so, look in the folder you choose. If not, go to the Audiobook Builder menu at the top left corner of your screen, click the Preferences... menu item, and set the very first option, Save Audiobooks to:, to what makes sense for your workflow.

To find audiobook files when they're only in Books, or when you're not sure how to use Spotlight to get at them, click the Finder icon on your Dock, go to the Go menu at the top of your screen, and use the Go to Folder... feature to go to ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Books/Audiobooks. The folder names won't make sense, but the original audiobook names should come up inside each folder.

https://www.splasm.com