Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:47 pm 

hi, i have audiobooks that are in wma format and do not have drm protection. i originally download them on my windows parallel side and then bring them over to mac. i am able to open them in wmv with no problem. however, when i try to add the files to audiobook it gives me the message
Unable to load movie data from file

is there any kind of fix for this? am i doing something wrong? i'm new to audiobook (just got it)

please help! i am able to add mp3 files just fine but i was hoping to skip the whole process of converting wma to mp3 first.

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:56 am 

as far as I know you simply need to have this installed on your user:
http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

it will allow Quicktime (and also ABB, I think) to decode .wma files.

if that doesn't work.. I'd suggest reencoding the files to AAC format, not mp3.
if you first make mp3's from the wma's they will be reencoded as aac when you make your audiobook.
if you make aac's from the wma's you can set ABB to 'Passthrough' the AAC files, which means it doesn't have to reencode them again, jsut combine them, its faster and preserves quality.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 pm 

I'm also having this problem. I have flip4mac installed, but I believe that is the problem. The newest beta version I think is when I stopped being able to import wma files directly. Can this be fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:37 am 

sallyxi wrote:
153957 wrote:

The only way is to have to download it? i am afraid of getting virus,so i always refuse to do downloading things...

I believe so... don't worry it doesn't contain a virus, it is used by A LOT of people, if it contained a virus it would be known by now. it just contains some quicktime/web components and a preference pane so you can choose your settings.
here you can see other users comments and ratings:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17 ... wmv-player

By the way, on viruses:
eeh you are using a Mac right? I have been using Macs for about 15 years, I download a lot, I dont have a virus checker, I have never had a virus.. (and thats not just because I dont check for viruses :P )
If there were any (effective) viruses for Macs going around it would probably be all over the mac new community websites. (sometimes there are some exploitable vulnerabilities found in Mac OS X, but often the worst that it can cause is an application crash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am 

This problem is persisting for me. Even with Flip4Mac installed I cannot directly read in a WMA file. I can convert it to MP3 using Switch or some other software (that uses Flip4Mac), then read it into ABBuilder, but if I directly try to read it into ABBuilder it doesn't work.