Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey everyone, check out this post on Splasmata about the recent issues between iBooks in iOS 8.4 and audiobooks with artwork: http://www.splasmata.com/?p=2836

We're reached out to Apple to learn when a fix is coming. Seems it would come sooner than later, as iBooks displays the artwork properly so Apple's intent to fully support it seems clear. In the meantime, you can rebuild an audiobook without cover art and chapter art as a workaround.

We'll keep you posted!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 am 

I just discovered that updating to IOS 8.4 moved my audiobooks from iTunes to iBooks, something I never used. I've about 20 audiobooks downloaded into my iTunes library with ABB. To listen, I then sync to my iPhone. Checked and the one I was listening to is now in iBook, but starts at beginning. previously I had no artwork; don't understand how artwork plays into chapter issue.
1. Are you saying that as I listen in iBooks, it will not remember where I stopped in future?
2. When I download an audiobook will ABB put it in iBook instead of iTunes as it did before?
thanks,
Armando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The iOS 8.4 iBooks app has issues with saving your place when listening to any Audiobook built using Audiobook Builder if the Project contained Cover art and/or individual Chapter artwork. If your files contain no artwork then there shouldn't be any issues faced with the place you stopped at (the bookmarked position) getting saved. If the Audiobook you were listening to before the update contained no artwork, it starting from the beginning in iBooks could've been a one-time issue.

Also, Audiobook Builder will continue to send built Audiobooks to iTunes as usual. Apple hasn't incorporated Audiobooks into the iBooks app on the Mac, just on iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads, so it's only after syncing from iTunes that Audiobooks go to iBooks on there.

If you haven't seen this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6552 , you may like to know that the issues have been cleared up in the iOS 9 public beta. So, we're feeling good about the official iOS 9 update getting things back to normal.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:47 am 

Thanks Alan. I will see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:15 am 

For what its worth, I've found that if I don't have multiple chapters (just join everything into one big chapter) I can still add cover artwork. Everything seems to be okay in this case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 am 

Playback in iBooks is broken because of this bug. However playback via the Audible app or an app named "Audiobooks" is, while not perfect, much better and mostly functional.

I hope Apple figures out if they want square or book shaped cover art.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:24 pm 

+1, I am getting the same problem with iOS 9.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

jmhays,

Everything's working as expected to on iOS 9 for us here. What device are you using there that's still having issues? And, is the latest iOS version, 9.0.2, installed at this point?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:21 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
jmhays,

Everything's working as expected to on iOS 9 for us here. What device are you using there that's still having issues? And, is the latest iOS version, 9.0.2, installed at this point?

I'm definitley still having problems with my iBooks picking up where I left off. I'm running 9.02 on my iPhone and 10.5.5 on my Mac. I'm using Subler to remove the chapters, and that SORT OF helps; I don't get sent back to the beginning of the book anymore, but it's picking back up way before the point I actually left off.

Things work great if I listen in the Audible app, but the problem with Audible is that if Siri is enabled, then Audible goes back to 1x speed, and that's annoying to constantly change the speed back.

Any help/update would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for chiming in, pedantix, and for providing some additional information about what you're dealing with. No matter what we do, we're still unable to trigger the same issues you've described on test iPhones of various models running iOS 9.0.2, whether they have Chapter artwork or not. Can you verify that you're able to play an audiobook, go away from it, and have it start again in a new place (at the beginning or otherwise) every time? If so, perhaps try restarting your phone to see if that makes a difference and, if not, we may want to test with one of the Audiobooks you're using in case there's some particular combination of build settings we haven't touched on yet that are involved. If you're willing to send us something and have a smallish file, that can go through email to support@splasm.com or we can also accept file transfers of most any size through AIM or Skype anytime that are sent to user name "splasmsoftware".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:47 pm 

Allan W. wrote:
Thanks for chiming in, pedantix, and for providing some additional information about what you're dealing with. No matter what we do, we're still unable to trigger the same issues you've described on test iPhones of various models running iOS 9.0.2, whether they have Chapter artwork or not. Can you verify that you're able to play an audiobook, go away from it, and have it start again in a new place (at the beginning or otherwise) every time? If so, perhaps try restarting your phone to see if that makes a difference and, if not, we may want to test with one of the Audiobooks you're using in case there's some particular combination of build settings we haven't touched on yet that are involved. If you're willing to send us something and have a smallish file, that can go through email to support@splasm.com or we can also accept file transfers of most any size through AIM or Skype anytime that are sent to user name "splasmsoftware".

Hi, Allan,

I definitely will do that. I'll jot down where I leave off and see if I can get replicable behavior for you. Thanks!