Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: IOS 8.4 AB problems!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:32 pm 

I Just updated to new IOS 8.4 yesterday. Got my previously built Audiobook Builder audiobooks in the iBooks app.However, I have no bookmarking abilitiy, no ability to keep my place. Rewinding or fast forwarding either does nothing or switches me back to a previous track. It looks like it's not keeping the files as one as it previously did but breaking them down by track (disc). When I look at the track listing of a specific book I see the Tracks broken down into separate tracks (discs that the audiobook were loaded on). Anyone at Splasm have a work around yet? I no longer have the actual cd audiobooks I put in AB, but have the Document of the file. Would changing settings help? All the audiobooks that I tried this out on were previously loaded into AB. Would love some help. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: IOS 8.4 AB problems!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We’ve also noticed that the iBooks app on iOS 8.4 has various issues with dealing with Audiobook files but it's only if they have Chapter artwork and Audiobook Builder adds any Cover Art that’s setup in a Project as individual Chapter artwork. So, to get around those issues now, it's necessary to have Audiobook Builder Projects built with no Cover art and no manually applied Chapter artwork.

It's no big deal if you don't have the CDs still since you retained Project files for past builds as you can do the rebuild after removing any Cover Art from the Cover section and Chapter artwork from the individual Chapter listings in the Chapters section. Adding Cover Art within iTunes following these subsequent builds won’t lead to the same issues—basically, leaving off the Cover art in Audiobook Builder keeps it from becoming Chapter artwork but then adding Cover artwork in iTunes makes it where the Audiobook's not left coverless.

Also, just so you know, we’re still working to determine if there will be a way to update Audiobook Builder so that Chapter artwork can still be added to files in a way that the iBooks iOS app will support.

The thing about the track listings is that the iOS iBooks app, for some reason, will show Chapter names as "Track 1", "Track 2", etc. and these generic listings will replace unique Chapter names. You can see that the Chapter names are still applied properly to Audiobook file by playing them in iTunes and accessing the Chapters menu that appears.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:19 pm 

I’ve been using Audiobook builder for a while. I purchased it in October 2010, but I’ve only now registered for the forums because I’m seeing the exact same problems since updating to iOS 8.4.

I reloaded a project file and deleted the artwork as instructed, but I only see proper iOS 8.4 iBooks audiobook behavior on "Track 1". Once it gets past the first track, the blue bookmark dot no longer keeps my place, and more importantly, the scrubber does not track left to right as the audio plays. It stays stuck at the beginning of the track (0:00) and the timer does not count down the time remaining for that track. Additionally, the 15-second skip forward/back does nothing. It makes the proper sound effect as if it's skipping forward or back, but when I let go, the track picks up right where it left off. No advance or rewind has taken place.

When I built my audiobooks from CD rips, I imported artwork I found from the web. Only once did I attempt to add chapter art to individual chapters, but that was such a pain I gave up and vowed never to do it again. The book I'm referring to right now is not the book with the chapter art. Just the cover art. And deleting it did not help.

Update: I've tried the process - deleting cover art and rebuilding from the project file - on two more projects and got the same results mentioned earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:59 am 

jamesdmc wrote:
I’ve been using Audiobook builder for a while. I purchased it in October 2010, but I’ve only now registered for the forums because I’m seeing the exact same problems since updating to iOS 8.4.

I reloaded a project file and deleted the artwork as instructed, but I only see proper iOS 8.4 iBooks audiobook behavior on "Track 1". Once it gets past the first track, the blue bookmark dot no longer keeps my place, and more importantly, the scrubber does not track left to right as the audio plays. It stays stuck at the beginning of the track (0:00) and the timer does not count down the time remaining for that track. Additionally, the 15-second skip forward/back does nothing. It makes the proper sound effect as if it's skipping forward or back, but when I let go, the track picks up right where it left off. No advance or rewind has taken place.

When I built my audiobooks from CD rips, I imported artwork I found from the web. Only once did I attempt to add chapter art to individual chapters, but that was such a pain I gave up and vowed never to do it again. The book I'm referring to right now is not the book with the chapter art. Just the cover art. And deleting it did not help.

Update: I've tried the process - deleting cover art and rebuilding from the project file - on two more projects and got the same results mentioned earlier.

This is exactly the same as I am seeing. Kind-of glad I'm not alone with this problem but wish there was an easy fix!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

jamesdmc and swampsnake:

We're unable to see the issues covered above occur with any Audiobook file that doesn't contain Cover Art or Chapter artwork and we've had numerous users that we worked with through email that had success after removing all artwork and rebuilding. Can you verify that you've definitely deleted the old versions of your files that contained the Cover and/or Chapter art and have synced only the newly built versions to your device that had all the artwork removed from them? If so, can you email an Audiobook file that's still exhibiting the issues to us at support@splasm.com? Using Apple's Mail Drop feature, it's possible to email very large files but if you're using Mail on an older operating system, you won't have access to that feature—we can also accept file transfers through AIM or Skype sent to the username "splasmsoftware", if you need to go that route.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 pm 

A post I found on the Apple forums helped me. If I delete the video section of an iTunes audiobook created by AudioBook Builder, and reload the book back into iTunes, the book plays fine.

The interesting thing is the artwork I had added when originally building the audiobook stayed in place.

The person on the Apple forum recommended the free application, Subler (subtler.org). I used it. No problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey everyone, here's a Splasmata post from a few days ago, just to let everyone know of our research into the issues between iBooks in iOS 8.4 and audiobooks with a video track, workable workarounds, and how we're addressing the issue: http://www.splasmata.com/?p=2836. We'll keep you posted as things develop.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:55 pm 

In the meantime between my OP and trying to fix the problem myself, I changed the Audiobook to a Podcast in iTunes using my original AB file and it rewrote itself as a podcast. Kept the bookmarking ability and always holds my place. Now I don't have the same nifty new iBook features in IOS 8.4 but I do have the OLD features that worked perfectly fine - I just have to go into my Podcast App. Good work around until I get my new actual CD's from the library audiobooks imported into iTunes. Just something quick that worked for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:16 pm 

My solution, for the meantime is to unearth an non-updatable iPod from the drawer and put my audiobooks on it.

Hopefully Apple and Splasm get this sorted out quickly. I have a full library of books that I would rather listen to on my phone.

But until then rocking the 4th gen nano for the commute (FM radio and audiobooks) and the original touch for around the house.

If I miss your phone call, sorry - busy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:44 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks everyone for the various suggestions above! Just an update: we've been in contact with Apple about them fixing the iOS 8.4 iBooks audiobook issues being discussed and we're hopeful things will be cleared up in iOS 9 because they seem fine in the iOS 9 public beta. For anyone interested in trying out the iOS 9 public beta, here's where you can learn more about Apple's beta program: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/ .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:40 pm 

colo_artist wrote:
A post I found on the Apple forums helped me. If I delete the video section of an iTunes audiobook created by AudioBook Builder, and reload the book back into iTunes, the book plays fine.

The interesting thing is the artwork I had added when originally building the audiobook stayed in place.

The person on the Apple forum recommended the free application, Subler (subtler.org). I used it. No problems.

Thanks for this tip so far it seems to work, the website is http://subler.org/
No t

When you open the app go to file open and select the files for the audiobooks,
a window will open for each track, select the Video track and delete it, the file save and close.

I re-added the tracks this may or may not be required I haven't tried leaving the tracks yet.