Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Export to MP3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:25 pm 

My mom just asked me to prep a couple of books for her for her car trip to Florida. Though she has an iPod, her car stereo can play MP3 CDs. She uses an FM transmitter in the car which isn't ideal for long trips since she seems to need to search for good stations frequently. Here's the deal, I'd like to prep two copies of the book. One for her iPod (which I know how to do) and the other for an MP3 disk. The MP3 disk would ideally be all of the original tracks (usually 7-12 per CD) since it easier to manage location on the CD with smaller tracks.

Is there a way for me to do this or am I better off re-ripping the CDs straight into iTunes as MP3 then burning the disk?

Thanks.

- John Michl

Post subject: Re: Export to MP3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You may want to re-import the discs into itunes as mp3 files and burn your discs. The files from Audiobook Builder are encoded in AAC at the setting determined by your project, so they would have to be re-encoded as MP3s before burning, which would take some time and you would lose the individual file breaks from the original files.

If you plan on doing 2 book versions, You may want to import your tracks into iTunes for your MP3 CDs and also use those same tracks for building in Audiobook Builder. Just select those tracks in iTunes, switch back to your Audiobook Builder project and hit the 'Add iTunes' button to import those tracks. That would save you the time of importing the files from the CDs twice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:47 am 

Thanks, Randy.

That was the solution I figured I should use after I already converted them the normal way. (I'm a little slow sometimes.) I rarely need to do this (create to versions) so it isn't a big deal but I'll certainly remember it for the future.

I noticed you're in Prescott. I'm in Menomonee Falls, WI. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:28 pm 

I actually do this. I create LAME VBR MP3s at transparent quality (v2) using Max (http://sbooth.org/Max/) and then organize then in iTunes.

This may seem like overkill, but VBR MP3s use joint stereo as a standard and the files rarely go above 128k because the encoder realizes that most audiobooks are one voice equally spread between left and right audio channels. This effectively gives me better quality MP3s than I could get with similar AACs.

I can then down-sample these in my audiobook builder projects depending on how much quality they call for. Plus I then have "masters" of my audiobooks later down the road for re-encode. Best of both worlds. It has come in handy on MANY occasions.