Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MacBook reject a CD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:17 pm 

Here's an interesting problem that has only occured on one set of Audio book CD's.

I was able to load CDs 1 through 6. However, my MacBook would reject CD #7. In other words, it would eject it before ABB enabled the "Import" button.

I tried the CD on a normal CD player and it worked fine.

So, I tried several different things and the following worked:

Start ITunes first, then insert the CD. The CD loads. Then start up ABB. Works fine. Futhermore, the same thing happened on CDs 8 and 10 of the same Audio Book.

I have never seen this happen before.

So, what do you suppose is the problem and why does starting ITunes first solve the problem?

Thanks,

Henry

Post subject: Re: MacBook reject a CD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hmm. When a disc is ejected like that it's because it's not mounting for one reason or another, usually because the Mac has decided that it can't read the disc's table of contents. Audiobook Builder doesn't get involved in mounting disks. Instead, it compiles information about all mounted disks, decides which are audio CDs and listens for disk mounted events from the operating system so that it can recompile its list of mounted audio CDs. Without a way to reproduce the issue here I would guess that either iTunes is somehow enabling discs to mount even when the Mac doesn't really like the disc (which seems kinda hokey) or there's another bit of information here that hasn't come to light yet.

Would you mind doing some testing there for us?

1. If you just insert one of these problematic discs without either iTunes or Audiobook Builder running does it mount and appear in the Finder?

2. If the disc does mount and appear in the Finder, eject the disc and repeat the test five times. Record how many times the test succeeds or fails.

3. Eject the disc, open your Audiobook Builder Project and insert the disc again to see what happens. Try that five times, regardless of the outcome, and record how many times it succeeds or fails.

Thanks!

https://www.splasm.com