Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:01 pm 

Good afternoon,
I have some audio books that go over the 13hr maximum high quality and get split into 2-3 parts. Is there any way to increase the maximum to 30hrs so all my audiobooks are in 1 m4b file. I have several that are 18-28hrs long.
Thanks
Brad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Brad,

I just sent out a reply to the same question where you asked via email support too, but I thought I'd also go ahead and post the answer to your question here for any other users' that may have the same question in the future...

In Audiobook Builder, the only restrictions on size for the individual Audiobook files that can be generated are in place because there's a maximum file size set by Apple due to the limitation for what can be synced to the devices they offer (iPhones, iPads, and iPods). Now, that length limitation is based off the overall data size, so a longer Audiobook file/Part can be produced if you're willing to take a hit to the sound quality. The 13 hour length maximum is for a an item built using the High Quality setting, an 18 hour maximum length is set for an Audiobook built using the Normal Quality setting, and using Low allows for up to 27 hours. To change the Quality setting, click the Build Options button that's located beneath the Cover Art image in the Finish section.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 pm 

Is this still true in regards to the maximum file size limit? Because Audible seems to have single file versions of their audiobooks that sync with Apple iOS devices. For example I have a 1.16 GB .aax file from Audible of the entirety of Cryptonomicon(~43 hours in length)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 am 
Administrator
Administrator

This is indeed still true about the limitations for the files Apple's devices can play with regard to data size, but those specific lengths apply to M4B files, which are what Audiobook Builder generates as well as what Apple offers in the iTunes Store. The AAX files that Audible provides are just specially wrapped MP3s, and it's possible to squeeze more audio data into those types of files. We may look into incorporating MP3 save options at some point.

http://www.splasm.com