Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:47 pm 

I created my first ABB project and built the book. In iTunes, it only shows as the single track in the ABB playlist. In my Audiobooks section, all of the old tracks were still as they were. This was expected, and I figured I would have to delete the old audiobook with its tracks. What was unexpected was there wasn't a second version with only the single track.

When I transferred to my iPhone 4 (with latest iOS - 6.1 I think), the audiobook showed up correctly, both in the newly created ABB playlist and in the Books section as a single track, chapters and everything just as I had created in ABB. Absolutely AWESOME!!! Love the ABB app just for this alone. Like so many others, I am an audiobook fanatic and this app is great for those of us who like our libraries to be clean.

That being said, I like my iTunes library to be clean, as well. All of the tracks are so ugly and cumbersome when you add a book from a cd, so I have been doing the combined tracks trick to make one track per cd. This works good and has been the best solution until now. However, when I deleted the version from my Audiobooks section (with all of the old tracks, 145 to be exact) my new version from ABB was deleted from my playlist. I have the old version in my Music folder with all 145 tracks, but I'd like to get rid of that and only have my ABB version. I have it on my iPhone, but I only keep so many books on my phone to conserve space, so I will remove it later. However, when I want to listen to it again, I will retrieve it from iTunes and put it back on my iPhone.

Is there a way for it to show up in my Audiobooks and in the ABB playlist in my iTunes on my Mac?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

With Audiobooks built using Audiobook Builder, the final file added to iTunes always shows in the main Audiobook section as well as in the Playlist (it's actually not possible to add something to a Playlist that's not in the main Library somewhere since Playlists just link back to a file rather than actually containing said file). Now, something to consider is that the latest version of iTunes will lump all items together that use the same Album name. So, it's highly likely that the new version of the Book would've been listed with all of your original Audiobook tracks. 145 items is a lot to weed through, so perhaps it was difficult to locate the new version when mixed in there.

Anyway, it's likely that when you deleted the original tracks, the new version was also deleted—it no longer being in your Library would explain why the file disappeared from the Playlist. Now, to recover the Audiobook Builder version, you might check the Audiobooks folder inside your iTunes Media Folder for it. Supposing when you removed the other tracks you chose 'Keep Files' rather than 'Move to Trash', the file will still reside there. One way to easily differentiate an Audiobook Builder file from the rest would be looking at the file extension. Look for .m4b as opposed to .m4a.

http://www.splasm.com