Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:45 am 

I am having an odd problem with Audiobook Builder, that seems to have happened since I upgraded to QuickTime 7.3 or to Leopard. (I'm not sure which, as I upgraded both in between Audiobook Builder sessions.)

The issue arose when I worked on a new audiobook. I added a bunch of MP3 files to a project, and they appeared as expected, with one track per chapter grouping/folder. Then I want to listen to the first part of each track, to get the tracks properly grouped into actual chapters. To do so, I normally click on the chapter/folder, and then click the Play button in the Show Details section. After a few seconds, I'll cursor arrow to the next item, and click the Play button again, until I find a track that is the start of a new chapter, whereupon I will drag tracks into the right grouping, and then repeat.

The problem is, only the first track I click on and press Play will actually play. After that, when I press Play, I get nothing but silence, and the Play button doesn't change to the Stop button, the way it normally does.

If I quit Audiobook Builder, and then relaunch it and reopen the project, the "problem" track will play fine. Same thing if I close the project and reopen it. The first track I play is fine, no matter which track it is. Subsequent tracks will *not* play, no matter which they were, even the track that just played.

Needless to say, this makes an already tedious task (playing the first few seconds of each track, and making groups) virtually impossible.

Am I the only one with this problem? Any other QuickTime 7.3 or Leopard users seeing the same thing?

FWIW, I did an Erase and Install of Leopard, followed by re-installing my software, re-entering serial numbers, etc. So this is a pretty clean system. I do have DivX and Flip4Mac WMA codecs installed, if that could influence QuickTime negatively, but the same codecs were installed on my Tiger system, and it worked fine.

The MP3 tracks are from two different sources. One book is from an MP3 CD (Night of the Jaguar by Michael Gruber), and the other is a download from eMusic (See No Evil by Robert Baer). MP3 tracks from the same sources (though different books) have worked fine in Audiobook Builder before the upgrades to QT and OS X.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:40 pm 

I just checked on my wife's computer, and Audiobook Builder appears to work as expected in this area, when the tracks are AAC tracks imported by Audiobook Builder from CDs.

It was a quick test, of an existing project file, that was imported prior to the upgrade. And it's my wife's MacBook, so there's a whole 'nother computer involved. I.e., lots of different factors. But maybe the problem is limited to MP3 files. More testing to ensue here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

No need for further testing, Michael. We made a booboo a while back that can cause this symptom and it's been fixed in a pre-release build here. If you need the fix now let us know and we'll send it over.

https://www.splasm.com