Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:17 am 

I've been using iTunes to encode files for use with Audiobook Builder because of iTunes' better error correction. I'd set my iTunes importing preferences to match my Audiobook Builder project settings, so all the files simply passed through, saving a lot of encoding time on the back end. (This also let me mark joined tracks in iTunes, allowing me to set up my chapters in Audiobook Builder to match the author's chapters in the book.)

After the most recent iTunes/Quicktime updates, however, this no longer seems to work. Here's a link to an Apple support discussion:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 3&tstart=0

Seems that Apple has decided that using the constant bit-rate encoding in iTunes should no longer give you a constant bit rate, but an average bit rate instead. The files I'm importing from iTunes to Audiobook Builder no longer have the same bit rate as my project -- or even as each other.

As a result, using iTunes to rip discs because of the better error correction (or to set up chapters as preferred) now requires encoding twice -- once upon ripping in iTunes, and again upon finishing in Audiobook Builder.

Any suggestions?