Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Ipods and long files
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 pm 

Anyone know if the new ipods can handle long(over 2.5 hours) files without the skipping/bookmark reseting problems? I would imagine that the ipod touch can handle them since it's based on OSX but I haven't heard anything about the new Nanos or the Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 pm 

I don't know, myself, but I'm also curious to find out. I've been thinking about getting a new iPod, myself to replace my 5G 60 gig one, which, except for the audiobook skipping and some face scratches is mostly still ok.

Sadly, I imagine that the problem is unresolved, at least in the regular iPods, or there'd have been an update to the software for older iPods by now. I am, however, curious to know if the Touch is free of this issue, since, as you point out, it does utilize a version of OSX instead of the standard iPod software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:48 am 

I bought an iPod Classic over the weekend. I can't yet say authoritatively whether the problem is solved, but I have tested it briefly with a track I know was having problems on my previous iPod, and haven't yet encountered the skipping issue. I probably won't be actually listening to a book where this is likely to be thoroughly tested for a few weeks, but when I do, I'll report back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:33 am 

Thanks Taellosse. I primarily use my ipod for audiobooks and this problem has always bugged me. If it turns out to be fixed I'll be buying a new one asap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:58 am 

I upgraded to an iPod Classic a week ago. I haven't tried any longer audiobooks on it yet: still sticking with the 2.5 hour limit. It sounds promising, though. Given that the first observations on the Classic's ability to handle longer files were written several months ago, is there any new news on this front? I wouldn't mind "graduating" to 5-6 hour part files if it's reasonably certain to work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:22 am 

I haven't yet had cause to compare a long file between the two iPods, but I have listened to an entire 5-book series of lengthy books (all of the books are a minimum of 30 hours long) on my Classic and I did not encounter this issue once. I had made the audio files using Audiobook Builder from MP3 CDs, same as previous ones with which I had issues, and none of the files were less than 10 hours long.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:37 am 

Works for me. I'll reimport some of my downloaded files and see how they turn out; will post results here.

If this is true, it's kind of a black eye for Apple. But I'll be happy to put it behind me anyway.