Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Merge to a Single File
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:27 pm 

This program was recommended to me for merging multiple files into one audiobook file. I very much dislike having multiple files show up in iTunes for a single book, I find it much easier for organization ad syncing with my iPhone & iPad if it's just one file. I was searching the forums to confirm this was capable, and saw that there seems to be limitations on how large a finished file can be.

Before purchasing I was wondering if someone could explain this limitation. Past methods I've used for joining files (via scripts) have never mentioned anything about limitations.

Also, if I have an audiobook that is in multiple files, but these files contain chapter breaks, if I merge these into a lesser number of files (if merging into one isn't possible) will the new file include these breaks?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Audiobook Builder's Target Length for each file/Part is limited by the M4B Audiobook format's size restrictions. So, if you want to build an Audiobook as a single file in a longer chunk than what is permitted, you can reduce the audio Quality setting to get some more time.

To do that, first, go into the Finish section and click on the Build Options button that resides below where your Cover Art will be displayed. Then, click on the menu button labeled 'Quality' to make the change. Using the Normal Quality setting you can create up to an 18 hour long file. With the Low option, you can usually get up to 27 hours to work with.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm 

Hey guys,

I've been a windows user so far and recently switched to mac. While making Audiobooks in Windows was pretty annoying and hard work sometimes, I really enjoy Audiobook Builder hugely. Just awesome.

However, the Windows Audiobook tools allowed to ignore the restrictions of 13:00 per .m4b making a single file out of 20:00 or something.
As these work absolutely fine on ipod nano, classic, iPhone 4s and iPad, I'd pretty much love to keep things this way.

Is there really no chance to make this happen in Audiobook Builder? I mean I could imagine that Apple enforces this restriction on you if you wish to sell via MacAppStore, but if there was a chance to make this happen, I'd love it.

Thanks
Konspirius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's definitely possible to build an Audiobook with Audiobook Builder that's longer than 13 hours, but it will always require the use of a lower quality than the default setting. Basically, the limitation is based on the size of an M4B file that can be added to one of Apple's devices. If the Windows programs you used produced a file that would work on your devices, bypassing the 13 hour restriction probably automatically decreased the sample rate. Play with the Build Options and you should be able to get a single Audiobook in the size you want—even the Normal Quality setting allows for an 18 hour long Audiobook file.

http://www.splasm.com