Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Build getting messed up
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:20 pm 

I just downloaded the most recent version of ABB and was compiling a book based on files already in iTunes.

The build file looks fine when in ABB. All of the chapters are in the correct order and it says that the completed file should be 11h 25m 43s and in one part.

However, once the build completes and it's placed in iTunes something goes wrong. In iTunes, it shows the file being twice the size 22h 23m 17s. And it's also messed up one of the chapter sections. When I play the sections in ABB, they're correct. However, in iTunes when I jump between chapters, they don't seem to be playing the right thing. Chapter 27 seems to be playing part of chapter 26. The beginning of Chapter 28 is playing something different as well. Instead of playing the chapter title and beginning the narration, it plays some other part that I haven't even tracked down yet.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:32 pm 

I forgot to mention one other piece of information about the double length. When I fast forward to what should be the end of the book (1/2 way through this double length file) and play the ending segment, it skips from the last section (marker 11:25:43) and goes straight to the next file/track in iTunes. It acts as if the other 11 hours isn't in the file at all. I watch the play marker at the top of the iTunes window and it completely skips over the "unplayed" portion that shouldn't even be there and goes to the next track.

Very bizarre.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:59 pm 

I'm still trying to track down the cause of the issue. I did discover that while all chapters play correctly in ABB, in iTunes, every chapter after chapter 26 starts in the wrong location. Without having a transcript of each chapter, I won't take time to figure out where they DO start, but none of the remaining chapters start with the narrator giving the title of the chapter and then beginning the narration of that chapter.

I tried using Time Machine to pull back ABB version 1.5.2, but it would stall out and not pull in ABB file that I created in vs. 1.5.3.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:26 pm 

I tried using 1.5.2 to create the build from scratch, pulling in the original files from iTunes.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened. The file in iTunes says that it's apps. twice as long as it should be.

I also noticed that BOTH builds (from 1.5.2 and from 1.5.3) completely leave out the chapter mark for Chapter 49 (the second from last original file--the last file is "The End"-with closing remarks for the audiobook). However, when I click "The End" in iTunes, instead of playing this file as it does in the original or in ABB, it plays some other portion of the book.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what's happening. Everything seems to work fine within ABB--all files play play correctly. However, within iTunes, the first 1/2 comes in correctly and the chapter marks are wrong for the entire last 1/2 of the book.

There are 51 files sections within ABB that I'm asking to place in one part that should be 11:25:43 long--1 intro, 49 chapters, 1 outtro.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I apologize for the delay - we were out for the holiday until today!

It sounds like a case where we'd need to test the Project here to understand what's really happening behind the scenes. You and I worked on another issue where we needed some files sent over - I hate to ask you to send the entire Project this time but it's key to figuring this one out. If you're game can you send to iChat/AIM name "splasmsoftware", without the quotes, or Skype name "splasmsoftware", also without the quotes? It's best to compress the Project document first by selecting it in the Finder, going to the File menu and selecting the "Compress" option, then sending over the compressed version of the file (its name will end in .zip and it should have a little zipper over a blank document icon). Thanks for your help!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:22 pm 

I just sent it via iChat, although it may take a little while to finish uploading. Thanks for your help again. You have a great memory to remember having helped me before! You did so much in helping me troubleshoot the build in my specific workflow. This one definitely has me puzzled. Hopefully it will "build" in the same incorrect way for you so that your results can help you figure out the issue. It looks like the iTunes file is about 317MB also. Let me know if you end up needing that file also if your build behaves properly.