Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 pm 

hi

I'm trying to make my first audiobook up but am having problems understanding what i'm supposed to do. I've tried following the HELP tutorial, but still don't get the output i want.

I got a book out from the public library and it was 6 Cds, so i've imported them and they were given generic names of Audio CD1, etc and each had about 18 tracks on , called things like 1 Audio Track.mp4, 2 Audio Track.mp4.

The first thing i'm confused about is chapters - The CDs are not chapters, i've gone thru all the tracks and worked out by playing them that there are 14 chapters in the book. Is this the ONLY way to work out what the books chapters are??
So i've spent some time using the Join button and made up 14 proper actual chapters, some have more tracks than others, and sometimes the track numbers go from the end of one CD to the beginning of another (like this - 15, 16, 17, 18, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5). So the first track in each chapter is the file that the narrator says "chapter #__" .
I thought this was quite a tricky process, as it is easy to become a bit lost and not realise what you've just split from what. All done now and I Saved it.

Now when i go to Build the book I've got the following options selected.
Quality : Normal , Pass though is ticked (no idea what pass thru means as didn't understand the terminology).
Format: M4B AAC Audiobook, Bookmarkable.
Part Style: Break between files, and also tried Break between chapters. (again i don't know what this means)
Target Length: 12:00

It puts it into Itunes media folder and so i've got my audiobook sitting in itunes now.
Problem is it is one big file - 6hrs and 38min worth and there don't appear to be any chapters?? I thought that i'd get a file and there would be a little triangle next to it, which you'd press and it would expand into 14 chapters that you could play as you liked. Like what you do with podcasts?

I haven't tried putting into my ipod yet, cause I would think that if it is one file in itunes, copying it to my ipod would be the same - one big file.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paula

MacBook Pro (i5)
Ipod Nano 3rd gen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It sounds like you did a great job assembling your first book. If you play your audiobook in iTunes, look for a 'Chapters' menu at the top of your screen. This will list all of the chapters within your book. On the iPod or iPhone, you can find the chapter button in the upper right hand corner during playback. Older iPods use linebreaks in the playback progress bar to note chapters. The skip forward and back buttons will move from chapter to chapter.

There really is no clear way for us to organize Chapters from CDs. There is no data or way for us to automatically figure out what track goes to what chapter, so we default to organizing each CD as a chapter.

Passthrough allows natively imported CD audio and other AAC audio tracks with a constant bitrate to pass through during the final build, meaning that the audio is not re-encoded. This both saves time and quality. If you would like to re-encode the audio to a lower quality, just uncheck passthrough and it will obey your build quality settings instead of passing through. If pass through is grayed out, pass through is not possible and will not be done regardless if the box is checked or not.

Part style and part length are both used in long books. If your book is longer than what the iPhone and iPods can play back, Audiobook Builder must break your book into part files. Audiobook Builder gives you control over these part breaks, allowing you to set where these parts are made and how long they are. Breaking between files will split parts between individual audio files. This means your parts will be closer to your target length, but also means you may split a chapter in two pieces at the end of a part, with it resuming on the next part. Breaking between chapters means parts will only break between chapters, so they cannot be split between two different parts. The downside is that part lengths are a bit more uneven because there are less places that Audiobook Builder can split your parts.

I hope these answers help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:25 am 

AAAAh,
OK that makes sense, just me not knowing how to use itunes! I'll delete the three extra copies that i made :lol: and i'll be able to listen to my first AB!

Thanks for your help :-)