Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:06 am 

I imported an audiobook that had 6 chapters in AAC format. The chapters, by default, were arranged alphabetically, which I soon realized after building the book and testing it. I rearranged the chapters and rebuilt the book. Unfortunately, it came out in the same (wrong) order again, not in the order I had arranged them. Have I provided enough information to reproduce the problem?

Also, how do I "see" chapters and/or move from chapter to chapter in iTunes? I don't see any.

Version 1.06, 10.4.8, MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz, 2GB RAM,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

This is the first report we've received of reorganizing Chapters not working. I just double-checked 1.0.6 and it worked as expected. We're not sure how the issue could occur at all because the order in which the Chapters are displayed onscreen and the order in which the data is exported to the final output are based on the same behind-the-scenes data structure - essentially a list that we read from, in order, from start to finish.

This might involve an issue with the way Audiobook Builder accesses the original audio files on disk, but you could easily check on that by pressing the Show Details button at the bottom of the Chapters list, selecting each Chapter one at a time and pressing the round Preview/Play button at the bottom of the window. If the audio you hear is appropriate for the selected Chapter my next guess would be a mixup in iTunes where the first Audiobook was mistaken for the second - made somewhat easier by the way each unique track names aren't required in iTunes, so they can all have the same name, making it difficult to tell them apart. It's also quite a bit easier for us when we're testing because we tend to sort our tracks in iTunes by Date Added and when a new track is added it ends up just above the visible portion of the list - requiring us to scroll one line up to see the newest test output.

We'd be happy to try to reproduce the issue here but we'll need your Project to do so. Would you be willing to compress it and send it through a file transfer service like http://yousendit.com ? If that's OK, select the Project document in the Finder and compress it by choosing "Create Archive" from the File menu, then follow the directions at http://yousendit.com to upload the file so we can access it.

iTunes 7 moved the Chapters menu from the right of the timeline to the actual menubar at the top of the screen, to the right of the Window and Script menus. The menu should only appear while a chaptered file is playing or paused, so you'll need to start playing an Audiobook in order to see the menu.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:17 pm 

I was unable to reproduce the problem. Of course, starting from scratch worked properly--particularly as I started by renaming the files so that alphabetical order matched chronological order.

Incidentally, *attempting* to reproduce the problem reminded me that I didn't simply reorder them. I believe I also renamed them 1-(first file), 2-(second file) etc. within the GUI. However, when I tried to reproduce it didn't happen. Apparently, I left out a step which had confused ABB, or perhaps I added a step (saving?) that rectified the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for trying to reproduce the issue there.

I wouldn't suspect saving the Project would work around an issue like this. My double-check earlier was a quick four-Chapter deal without saving and it worked fine.

Thanks again for your effort. If you do come across this issue again we would really appreciate it if you could send us the Project so we can reproduce it here and get a fix out before it affects anyone else.

https://www.splasm.com