Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Running 2 instances
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:51 am 

I am trying out running 2 instances of Audiobook Builder at the same time processing different books. Since the app doesn't take advantage of multiple core processing, I figured this was one way of doing it. Is there any licensing issues or other performance issues I might run into? I am not importing CD's, I am joining files already in my itunes library.

All I did was to duplicate the application package and rename the duplicate "Audiobook Builder 2". They are running side by side right now building about 11 hours on one and 8 hours on another of audiobooks. So far no issues, and activity monitor is reporting less than 40% cpu and with about 90-120 meg of RAM usage on each instance.

At some point I'll try running more instances, but I'll stick with 2 for now and see how stable it is.

Matt

Post subject: Re: Running 2 instances
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Matt,

You shouldn't run into any issues. We have suggested this method for people wanting to set up a book while processing a different one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:14 am 

Thanks for this great program. I have a huge audiobook collection and I have used ABB to process over 500 audiobooks already.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a limit to the number of instances I can run?

I have a backlog of over 100 books I want to build, so I was hoping to process them a little faster. It looks like the OP was going to start with 2, and I was wondering if he or anyone at Splasm had tried running 3 or 4 at a time. I just purchased a new 6-core Mac Pro, so I should have adequate processing power.

2. Would it significantly improve the performance of ABB to have separate "read" and "write" disks?

I don't understand a lot of tech stuff but from perusing the other Mac forums, it looks like many of the Photoshoppers put their "scratch" and "storage" on separate drives so that the system isn't bottlenecked by trying to read from and write to the same disk when working with large files. I have my current drives in a large RAID 0 stripe but I can divide that into 2 smaller stripes if it will significantly decrease the build time, but I don't want to do that unless it will really speed things up. I also have a very generous amount of RAM... but not understanding how ABB works, I don't know if these things will make a difference or not.

Thanks for any recommendations you have, and again, thanks for a great little program.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

No, there is no limit to how many instances you can run. You might see some effective dropoff once you load up all of your cores with activity. Each instance would take up to 1.5 cores, so if you want to push your 6 core to its knees, you could try 4 or so instances.

I don't there would be much if any noticeable speed improvement in separating the read and write process. Audiobook Builder does not constantly read and write simultaneously like applications such as Photoshop.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:28 pm 

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:49 am 

Update, for anyone interested.

I finally got around to catching up on my audiobook building. I installed and ran 4 instances of ABB. With Activity Monitor, it appeared I was only using 30% of the CPU, so I installed an additional 4 instances (8 instances total) and was able to build 8 books simultaneously. The activity monitor showed I was using about 65% of the CPU. I have a 6-core 2010 MacPro, with the ABB project files on my system HD (SSD) and the iTunes Library it writes to on a 4-stripe RAID 0 array. I have 24 GB RAM, so the percentage of memory used was minimal. The build is much, much faster than on my old G5 PowerMac. At this rate I will be able to catch up on my audiobook backlog very quickly!

I just can't say enough good things about ABB. It is such a useful program for me as an "audiobookophile." Easily one of the best software purchases (and probably THE best, in terms of value-per-dollar) that I have ever made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:19 am 

First I would like to say this audiobook builder is the best I have seen and used, thank you. Is there a way through new versions, that you can incorporate the idea of running multiple builders at a time through the menu, without installing the app multiple times? Thank you for this forum as well, to provide ideas.