Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: audiobooks and the iPad
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 am 

I'll be getting an iPad next week, but I wanted to pre-plan creating rich audiobooks for my students. Essentially I create audiobooks accompanied by a PDF handout document of several pages.

In the past I always created the audiobook and also a separate PDF. However, with the iPad there may be new possibilities. What I'm wondering is if I add chapter art to each chapter will it show up well on the iPad screen? Will it take up the whole screen? I can easily drag the PDF for each page of the handout to the chapter art area of ABB. Is it better to use something other than PDF format?

A better solution for iPad users may be to listen to the audiobook while viewing the handouts in a PDF viewer on the iPad. But if I can have both things nicely and well integrated via ABB then that's the route I'll probably take.

Many thanks for any suggestions and help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

There's no reason I can think of to not use the individual PDF pages as Chapter art...but there's a catch right now with the iPad: we've been testing and found that it doesn't display Chapter art properly. Try playing an Audiobook on the iPad and you'll notice the Chapter art doesn't change when it's supposed to, if at all. Then tap the Playlist button so you can see the list of Chapters in the Audiobook. The wrong Chapter (the first in the list) will be shown as playing, even though it's obviously not the one that's playing. This happens with Apple's own Audiobooks, too, but since they don't usually have Chapter art (just cover art), and they usually have just two Chapters, it's not a big deal. We'll need to let Apple know about this and see what they can do.

Another potential issue is the resolution we use for Chapter art is pretty low at 320x320 - so as to not waste space on the iPod and iPhone. I don't know if older iPods can display higher resolutions without bogging down (some get sluggish when there are a lot of Chapters, for instance). We may end up providing options for higher resolution art but with the caveat that the final Audiobook may not work on all iPods.

So for now it looks like your best bet is a PDF handout or using a PDF viewer like iBooks. Keep in touch and we can let you know what's happening with the glitch with Chapter art on the iPad and any new features we come up with for higher resolution art.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:32 am 

Keith: Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. All of that helps tremendously—at least now I understand the situation and teh challenges. I'll keep checking back for updates.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:56 pm 

maybe a slide show of your pdf pages with the audio book as the sound track?

may be an odd workaround, but you then control when/where the pdfs change more accurately...

rabbit