Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 am 

Hello, I am a new user with some basic questions.

I currently have about 100 audiobooks that I have already ripped into iTunes without knowing there was anything like this software for me to make them into audiobook files.

My questions are:

1) is there a limitation on how many CDs or files can be made into one audiobook? When I ripped the CDs they are ripped into separate tracks, so if say I have a 10 CD audiobook with 15 tracks on each CD I now have 150 separate tracks. Is that an issue? What if there are 17 CDs with anywhere from 15 to 20 tracks on each, is that a problem?

2) what is the join feature for on the software, should I be doing that?

3) if I go into the options it asks how long the output will be. Do i set that to approximately how long the total running time is? I created an audiobook last night with the software but have yet to listen to it. It was something like 17 hrs and 2.7 minutes. I rounded up to 17 hrs and 3 minutes I think. Is that what I should have done? What if you don't set it, what happens?

Is there a user manual somewhere as well?

I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

1) No, there is not a limit on the number of files you can add to a project. I have had books with 1500 or so files process just fine.

2) Joining files together allows you to put more than one file under a single chapter marker. For example, if track 1 thru 15 are one chapter, i can select those 15 files and then join them. Cds themselves are imported as 1 chapter be default. You will have to use the split feature first to make all tracks their own chapter before being able to mix and match tracks into accurate chapter groupings.

3) The maximum part length is for control over how long parts are if the book has to be broken into pieces due to length. There are limitations on how long a book can be and still play on the iPhone/iPod reliably. for instance, if your book is 26 hours long, you can choose to break it into 2 hour parts, or 15 hour parts if you like. If you want as few parts as possible, make sure the part length slider is set at its maximum value.

There is a help document that has a beginner guide located under the help menu at the top of the screen. There is also a PDF version at our website here: http://www.splasm.com/audiobookbuilder/downloads.html