Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 pm 

I always start by splitting CDs into tracks/chapters, then locate each chapter start and label it. Later, I combine the identified chapter starting tracks with the rest of the tracks to one "proper" chapter.

It used to be easy to do this finding/labelling and renaming:

- Use arrow keys to move to a track/chapter
- Listen by hitting space
- If not chapter start, move on and repeat from top
- If chapter start, hit return to start entering chapter name
- Once done, hit return to exit chapter name editing and advance to next track/chapter
- Repeat from top

Now this has changed, and it has not improved. When you hit return to finishing editing the name, not only are you advanced to the next track/chapter, but you are still in edit mode with no keyboard exit possible!

- Esc does not exit edit mode
- Return advances to the next entry, but you are still in edit mode
- Arrow keys just navigates within the field
- TAB acts like return

The only way to exit out of edit mode and return to the wanted navigate/listen/rename mode is to use the **** pointing device!

I do like keyboard commands. I don't like having to use the pointing device. This used to work well.

Please at least enable ESC to exit editing mode. Best would be to return to the way it used to work. I cannot see why this new mode is better than the previous one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The change you've observed came about somewhat by accident, as the code that manages the outline view that contains the Chapters list in Audiobook Builder is the same as what we use in CheckBook and CheckBook Pro for managing things like Split line items, where users need a spreadsheet-like feel when editing lists of data and using Return/Enter to move from row to row while remaining in an editable state is a time saver. We modified Audiobook Builder 1.1.3 this morning to behave the way you're expecting so things should be back to normal when 1.1.3's officially released. If you'd like to give 1.1.3 a test drop us a line at feedback@splasm.com and we'll send over a download link and testing instructions.

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:47 pm 

Thanks for the offer, but I am a lousy tester in this case, as I am a low volume user.

I will do with version 1.1.2 for now, and am satisfied with the fact that the change will eventually be available.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:05 pm 

I also found this a little disconcerting at first, but then I realized the Play button still works even when the "chapter title" is in edit mode. So I sit there with one hand on the mouse and one poised over the Return key. Hit return, hit play, listen. Is it a new chapter in the actual book? Edit the chapter title and hit Return. Repeat as often as necessary. It actually works out pretty well for me. But I'm OK with it going back to the way it was too.

The Play button is visible when you click on "show details". (I think that's the label -- I'm not actually in front of my computer at the moment to verify.)

Interesting to know there's somebody out there who works out the chapter breaks the same way I do...