Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:36 pm 

Am new to Audiobook and was thrilled to hear about it from my Apple One to One trainer! I am an avid audiobook listener and look forward to using the program alot! However there is one major drawback, which may just be my ignorance. I have created several audiobooks from CD's borrowed from library to which I listen primarily on my iPod (classic). Here's my question/issue: I direct a writing center & often want to play selected tracks or portions of tracks of audiobooks for writing groups. On my iPod and on my iTunes audiobook folder, I cannot see the tracks and chapter titles listed as I could in the audiobook builder program. If I hear something, I want to return to, I cannot take note of the chapter. I did learn to import each CD as individual file, not having done that at first. On my IPod, when I listen I do see a bar with breaks in it indicating each CD. For example, I just imported a book with 7 CD's. on my Ipod no info shows about each one. As they play, it says 7 of 7, no matter what is playing. I don't mind writing down the chapter I want to revisit, but I need to know what it is. Gosh, maybe there is even a way to "dog-ear pages" electronically??!

I hope my question is clear. BTW: When I uploaded the CD's one at a time before using audiobook builder, I created a playlist folder in iTunes, each CD its own playlist in the folder. That way each chapter name showed up both in iTunes and on my Ipod. Unfortunately, audiobook builder will be useless to me without the ability to take note of chapters/points to which I want to return. I welcome clarification if I am missing something and welcome suggestions as to how best to note where I am when listening on my iPOD. If my question is not clear, please let me know. Thanks for taking the time to read this and to reply!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

You can see your chapter list in iTunes by looking for a Chapters menu at the top of the screen while playing your audiobook. Audiobook Builder will group each CD as a chapter by default, so you will want to split those CDs using the Split button at the top of the screen if you want to access each track of the CD as a chapter.

Unfortunately, the classic iPod does not have the features to easily skip to a specific part of your audiobook other than jumping chapter to chapter in a linear fashion. It also does not list the names of chapters. One cheat you could use is to use the chapter art of each chapter to insert a number image. The classic iPod does display the current chapter art so you would get a number to correspond to what chapter you are on.

The iPhone and iPod touch have a chapters menu which allow you to jump to any chapter in the book. iTunes chapters menu works in a similar way.